We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Currency for Tipping

London
Level Contributor
90 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Best Currency for Tipping

Hi

I am off to Diani Sea Resort, and a Safari in a few weeks and will be taking some cash with me for Tips and local spending, what is the best currency to use for Tips:

1. Hotel (bar staff & Waiters / Waitresses etc)

2. Safari trip

3. Local bars / restaurant in Diani Beach

I was thinking of Taking USD or Sterling and a few Kenyan shillings

Thanks

Colin

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,208 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Currency for Tipping

Please use Shillings to tip otherwise if you give a foreign currency they have to find someone to change it for them (usually me!). Safari drivers do best for tips so they may take other currency - best to find out first.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Currency for Tipping

Hi,

you need Kenyan Shillings for general day to day expenses. They are the local currency and what is used in every bar, shop and restaurant. Please tip in shillings, the locals have difficulty changing currency and do not get a good rate if they can and therefore lose part of their tip. Whatever you do please don't tip with coins, they can't change them at all, unless they know someone like me (I regularly get approached by people asking me to change pound or euro coins for them).

Do not waste your money changing your sterling to dollars, unless you are paying for your visa or have arranged to pay for your safari in them. Although many hotels and lodges will accept dollars, pounds or euros they only do so at a very poor rate of exchange,and if you have bought dollars you get hit twice

Edit: Snap! Yet again TF

Edited: 7:27 am, November 17, 2010
Norfolk, England
Destination Expert
for Kikambala
Level Contributor
525 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Currency for Tipping

As already said please tip in Kenyan shillings. Having been regular visitors for a number of years we are always asked to change £ coins. Easier to give shillings in the first place.

east sussex
Level Contributor
511 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Currency for Tipping

can we get kenyan shillings easily in uk and whats the best lower denominator

sussex
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Currency for Tipping

As the others advised in Kenys shillings. I usually get about £50.00 worth of Ksh. from U.K. Post Office to tide me over for a few days, then get more as and when needed out there from an A.T.M.

U.K. Post Office can usually get Ksh. for you next day after ordered.

Mtwapa, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Newcastle upon Tyne, Bamburi, Mtwapa
Level Contributor
15,866 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Currency for Tipping

Hi,

Any forex (Post office, M&S, Travellex, etc) or bank will have Kenyan Shillings but you will always get a better exchange rate at a forex or bank here, or for convenience just use ATMs as you would at home, there are charges but they are about on a par with what it will cost you to change money at a bank or all but the very best forexs.

on't change your money at your hotel or safari lodge, they give very poor rates

7. Re: Best Currency for Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:31 am, May 18, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Ukunda