We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All inclusive at Southern Palms

Peterborough
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
All inclusive at Southern Palms

We (me, wife + 3 sons) will be taking our first trip to Africa in July, staying at the Southern Palms hotel on Diani, Kenya. All of the reviews that I have read sound terrific, so can hardly wait.

I did read somewhere that "you have to sign for everything" - can anybody advise if this includes for the all inclusive option? I guess that I was hoping for some sort of wristband or similar . . . just don't want to be dragged away from my sun lounger too often if one of the boys fances a glass of coke! Maybe they can be designated signatories as well? They will be aged 16, 14 and 10.

Also, is it any hassle to pay for your visa entry on arrival, rather than arranging via the Kenyan High Commission in London?

Many thanks,

Berty

Cornwall
Level Contributor
206 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All inclusive at Southern Palms

Hi when we stayed there, it was a little while gao now we did not have to sign for everything. The only time we signed was if it was after the end of all inclusive for drinks or if we had something that was not included on the al inclusive. However this practice may have changed and I am sure someone will confirm it further.

Get you visa at the airport it costs $50 dollars, it is really a hassle there is normally a wait to go through imigration etc and get your visa stamped however I have been with people who have got them beforehand and they have not gone through any quicker than us.

Have a lovely first trip.

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All inclusive at Southern Palms

even if it is all inclusive and the wristband has been issued..

you still have to sign for everything in some hotels.. they have ot keep a check on the stock.....

you wont get dragged away as the waiters normally have a book with them...

easy to download the visa form from the kenya high commision sight.. fill it in beforehand and pop it inside your passport with the $50....

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: All inclusive at Southern Palms

Hi

we're also going for our first trip in July. We booked the hotel through Kuoni and used their visa service. It cost a little bit more but was really quick and hassle free, we sent off a form and our passports and within two weeks we got everything back. I don't know if it will actually speed things up when we arrive, but we thought it was one less thing to worry about. Also we want our check in to be as hassle free as possible as we;re flying over night and will want to get straight to our hotel (Pinewood resort).

ooh and while I think of it, the malaria tablets recommended for Kenya are prescription only, so make sure you book a doctors appointment in advance!

Can't wait until July!!!

lancashire, england
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All inclusive at Southern Palms

Hi berty,

myself and my fiance are going to southern palms in july to for our honeymoon and well can't wait for it. in reply to ur note we were really impressed with the reviews as well, apart from 1 but u always get them. so are u going all inclusive? we've only booked half board as the drinks sound cheap enough and i can't drink as much as i used to, haha..ave u thought of safari? my understanding is that we can get visa's at the airport when we land so thats ok. hope that helps...any more info then let me know..

cheers..

Newcastle Upon Tyne
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: All inclusive at Southern Palms

Hi Berty

I have just returned from Southern Palms in may and with the all inclusive option you do have to sign for everything you get but they do not pester you straight away to do this and also they would bring the slip to you. You can order drinks from around the pool in the pool or at the bars.

If your sons get arm bands they will just be able to sign themselves as your band has a number on and you just need your name and your room number to add.

You do get through that little bit quicker if you already have your visa stamp in your passport as you get sent to a seperate q which is a bit quicker but if you have transfers you will still need to wait for the rest of your coach. The good thing is getting out the airport for some fresh air.

You may want to speak to your Tour Operator as I haev just read the last review for southern Palms and there has been a fire. The whole place is massive so may just have 1 part sectioned off bit could check just for peace of mind.

If you have any other questions just let me know.

Thanks Leanne

Yorkshire, England
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: All inclusive at Southern Palms

Hi, we are just back from Southern Palms. Only if you are booked half-board do you sign for everything. As fully inclusive you will wear a wristband.

On arrival at Mombasa you are required to complete a form re immigration and pay the £30 fee in Kenya Shillings. Pathutch

plymouth england
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
5,880 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All inclusive at Southern Palms

or $50 dollars............... your visa can be paid in dollars euros and stirling but not kenya shillings...

Peterborough
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: All inclusive at Southern Palms

Thanks everybody for your input. We are all really looking forward to going, just a little concerned about the report of a fire at the hotel ! Hope it's not true / too serious. I'll check with our tour operator on Monday and post an update.

Thanks again,

Berty.

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
260 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: All inclusive at Southern Palms

Looking at all Kenya forums over the past week or so, I think you will find that the fire at Southern Palms was VERY TRUE. Some harrowing tales! Just glad everyone got out safe.

Also seems a few people have managed to change their acommodation say may be worth a try with your tour company.

Good luck and have a great trip

lancashire, england
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: All inclusive at Southern Palms

just been on to thomson (our tour operator) regarding the fire. took 3 days to get an answer from them but they finally come bak to confirm the fire happend on 8th june but they don't know how serious it is. all the current holiday makers have been moved out to different hotels and thomson say they are playing it by ear taking it day by day but they will be in touch with us. berty we are going on 9th mate so mite see u there. thomson also say if they have to move us they can't downgrade is to a worse star hotel and is there aren't any hotels the same standard they will upgrade us, so who knows, we mite end up in a beta hotel all inclusive for same price, fingers crossed haha....

adam