We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great Simien Mountains Guide

Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Great Simien Mountains Guide

We used Biniyam Wolday from simienexperience.com this summer to plan a three day visit to the Simiens. Everything worked like clockwork and the food was excellent. I would recommend Biniyam to anyone visiting the Simiens.

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great Simien Mountains Guide

We also had a wonderful time with Bini Wolday in the Simien Mountains. We travelled a lot around Ethiopia and had a lot of different guides in the different areas. Bini was by far the best. He enjoys the mountains and communicates his love and knowledge of the area very well. Bini has a good sense of humour, so it is easy to engage with him. His English language is excellent which makes a big difference. If I ever go back to the Simiens, I would go with Bini.

The Simien experience is magical. The mountains are stunningly beautiful. The highlight of our holiday.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great Simien Mountains Guide

We spent a couple of days with Semma Kumie, who looked after us when we were in Gondar and in the Simien Mountains when we visited at the end of November. semmakumie@yahoo.com. I would thoroughly recommend him - he is a professional, yet also fun person to be around. He seemed well known in the various places that we hiked, and he was also great for ID'ing the flora and fauna! He was also kind enough to take us to meet some of his family, which was a lovely experience and a great pleasure. We found Semma through a contact in Addis Ababa who was in turn recommended to us via Responsible Travel.

Spencer, West...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Great Simien Mountains Guide

I spent 3 weeks in Ethiopia on a trip set up by Addis Yimer of ethiopiaecotourandtrek.com/ including 5 days in the Simiem Mts. Everything was beautiful, well organized and went off smoothly. But that wasn't the best part - a lot of companies can do that. What set ethiopiaecotourandtrek apart was the extra personalize time I spent in a nearby village. Addis is working to develop the cultural tourism part of his business connecting us tourists with the local community. My time was limited so I didn't get to contribute much but was part of their festivities marking the end of a fasting period. I'm looking forward to a return trip and Ethiopian Eco Tours and Treks will be my contact.

Philadelphia...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Great Simien Mountains Guide

Together with a group of friends from Canada, I spent 2 weeks trekking in the Simien Mountains and another 2 weeks travelling in the surrounding area. We did the whole trip with Semma Kumie and his company Simien Ethio Tours (http://www.simienethiotours.com/).

The Simien Mountains are one of the most amazing landscapes I've ever experienced in my life: Beautiful and exotic wildlife, jagged cliffs, pristine alpine valleys, high plateaus and rugged peaks. The cultural sights in the vicinity of the Simien National Park are equally impressive: Rock-hewn churches, small villages with unbelievably friendly people, and ruins from the beginning of civilization.

Semma and his company did an outstanding job organizing the entire trip. On the trek, he planned a route that was precisely tailored to what we were looking for - a combination of scenic beauty but also physical challenge climbing Ras Dashen, Ethiopia's highest summit at 4,550m. Semma and his team did an excellent job organizing all logistics including tents, sleeping bags, porters, and cooking. The entire team from Simien Ehtio Tours was both very professional and personable - everybody was always in a great mood, and the service and food were of outstanding quality. We felt safe and in good hands throughout the trek and were always looking forward to the next day. Semma also presented a deep knowledge of the local villages, as well as the flora and fauna, which meant we were learning something new every day.

For the cutlural portion of the trip (i.e. visiting the churches and historical sights), Semma organized transportation with a private driver, all meals as well as hotels. A perfectly seamless experience!

Semma and I became friends over the trip, and I have confidently recommended Simien Ethio Tours to several of my closest friends since then.

Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
5 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great Simien Mountains Guide

I also traveled with Bini from simienexperience.com in October 2014 for a one day trip to drive and hike through the Simien Mountains for several hours. English is perfect, good sense of humor, provides a good car and driver, and very accommodating to your needs. I was traveling solo and had been bouncing around the country with different guides on a daily basis, and he truly stood out. Ethiopians are often a bit shy towards outsiders, from my observation, and he was a major exception to this rule.

I can't comment on price because he was arranged for me but affiliates to my Addis-based tour provider, but he provides premium services that are professional without being stuffy. As always, I encourage you to bargain with him to get a price that makes sense for you as travel is competitive in Ethiopia, but whether you're in Gonder/Simien Mountains or interested in traveling around the country extensively, this guy has his act together and I believe will deliver a great holiday for you.

Enjoy Ethiopia!

6. Re: Great Simien Mountains Guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 pm, November 10, 2015