We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

photographing yasur at night - suggestions / tips please

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
129 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
photographing yasur at night - suggestions / tips please

Hi There

I am lucky enough to get a night on Tanna to see Yasur. I am willing to pack my tripod, and want to know if anyone out there has any tips of me on good settings to photograph the "fireworks"? I'm wondering suggested f-stop and time settings? Also are there recommended places to set up tripod to get lovely "firework" type shots? many thanks in advance.

Sam

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: photographing yasur at night - suggestions / tips please

Hi Sam,

T is a big fan of such types of photography. I shall send your question and be back with a response.

Watch this space.

Jen

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: photographing yasur at night - suggestions / tips please

If you want a decent chance of producing top shots of the volcano at night then a tripod is essential, good to bring something to steady the tripod as it can get pretty windy.

My best shots of the volcano (photographed Mt Yasur over 30 times) have been shot around 600 to 800 ISO when pitch dark.

Opening will depend on speed of the lens. A wide angle and any 200 to 400 lens will give you a great range.

Also, if you are really serious do not rely on one evening (it could be rain or too smoky), plan to have another night stay in order to go a second time. Tanna is worth more than two nights anyway, especialy if you like photography.

Have a great trip :-)

...sit on the left side of the plane coming over; best views!

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
129 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: photographing yasur at night - suggestions / tips please

wow thanks guys.

Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: photographing yasur at night - suggestions / tips please

YesTanna is definately worth more than one night. I can't wait to go back.

Maroochydore Qld...
Level Contributor
283 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: photographing yasur at night - suggestions / tips please

We were at Yasur in November and took my tripod and got some great shots. One tip I would give is make sure you have hold of the tripod at all times as mine almost ended down in the pit after a big gust of wind came out of nowhere and knocked it over. It was a great clear night and the wind just happened.

If you can manage more than 1 night that is better. We were supposed to spend 4 nights on the East side of Tanna, however a faulty plane robbed us of 1 night. We were happy to spend every night at Yasur once we got there, rain then ruined the next night, but the following night was amazing.

The next day was perfectly clear, we headed to Yasur expecting another great night, we got to the top, then a huge storm came through and we got saturated and wind blown. We met some people at the top who only had that 1 night and were a bit disappointed, that's nature for you.

Safe travels

Steely

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: photographing yasur at night - suggestions / tips please

Hi there,

You have a fantastic opportunity not only being on a volcano but one of the best to photograph.

So that said – this is what I have and would do:

My equipment

I have a Canon 40d as well as an old digital that is much slower to take a photo. J well she has the HD

movie camera. So this is the equipment I have and use.

You are going to have a great deal of fun taking short so I have included a small diagram that gives a

relationship of F stop and Shutter Speeds. It is basic but a good guide.

I would be all over this by doing a recon to gain the best site for lava exploding. That done here we go:

1. I would set my ISO setting to 1000, Doing this brings speed to the photo and gives an instant short.

Also I would have the Aperture open to allow as much light in as possible. From there I would

play with time exposures using different lengths of time. I would also use ISO 800 using the same

formula and do this all the way down to ISO 400.

2. I would also do timed exposures by having the ISO at 100 and Aperture wide open and take a long

shot which will give the larva trails.

3. I would after getting a lot of great single shots I would then transfer to doing time lapse.

4. Select the best range for instant quick photo and use a device like a timer remote control. This will

allow you to set the parameters and the amount of shots for a duration of time.

The internet has a lot of great experts that offer up the knowledge you need, also seek that

http://www.lightstalking.com/timelapse

photovolcanica.com/PhotographyBeginnersGuide…

OH just a tip – when on a tripod and you press the photo shoot button it is best to have a short delay

before taking the speed photo as it may blue from camera movement.

Have great success…. I am looking forward to doing this myself soon.

F1.2 F2 F2.8 F4 F5.6 F8 F11 F16 F22 F32 F45 F64 F128

1s 1/2s 1/4s 1/8s 1/15s 1/30s 1/60s 1/125s 1/250s 1/500s 1/1000s 1/2000s 1/4000s

F11 to 1/125s is day time.

Qld
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
333 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: photographing yasur at night - suggestions / tips please

We were there last October and have the most amazing photos from our trip, can't weigh in on the technical side as we have a Canon but not an ADSL (bridging camera? I'm not the photographer in the house so excuse my ignorance) and some even more spectacular video from the Go Pro taken on a hand held attachment....we just snapped literally hundreds of shots, in between Mick playing with the camera settings and were stunned by the show Yasur put on for us. It was very windy hold on to your gear!!!

LOL I know this reply isn't helpful but I just wanted to share that the photo opportunity is just truly breathtaking and you would be hard pressed not to take home some precious memories....have a wonderful time!!!

8. Re: photographing yasur at night - suggestions / tips please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 07, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Tanna Island