We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Return Visit - what did we miss last time?

Port Lincoln
Level Contributor
164 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Return Visit - what did we miss last time?

Looking at heading back for another relaxing visit (last time we stayed at Oyster Island), we will return there for a few days, but want to stay on Santo itself this trip as well

Water Temp - we stayed in November and the water was lovely to swim/snorkel in, but will the water be colder during July/August

Would like to spend 4 or 5 days on Santo as we only had a quick tour of the town on our way to the airport - recommendations of what to do - Champagne Beach is on the list, and we have done the blue holes, but will probably revisit.

Where to stay? We both love to snorkel and fish - is there anywhere to see turtles?

TIA :)

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Return Visit - what did we miss last time?

If you are passing through Port Vila and staying a few days in transit to Santo do a day trip to Moso Island Turtle Sanctuary where they hatch the eggs and raise them til they are big enough to survive the predators and release them. You can name and sponsor your own turtle and release it if they have some the right age when you visit.

There are some other less humane places near PV (Turtle Bay, Crystal Blue Lagoon) where they allow tourists to swim with wild caught turtles in a small concrete tank or for you to feed pawpaw to some that have been captive there for years and never released. So sad and a completely different operation purely to make $$

You can go to Moso under sail as part of the Coongoola day trip too which is a relaxing day snorkelling and visiting the turtles.

cheers

Port Lincoln
Level Contributor
164 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Return Visit - what did we miss last time?

Thanks PeaceAndLight

Will be planning a few days in Vila and will check out Moso Island - and the day trip I would much rather support those working towards the preservation of these animals rather than those that hold wild animals captive purely for the benefit of making money

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
656 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Return Visit - what did we miss last time?

I think that Peace and Light is being a little restrained in her comments regarding Crystal Bay lagoon.

It is a blight on PV tourism. The place should be shut down. In my TA review, I wanted to give a zero, but couldn't.

Port Lincoln
Level Contributor
164 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Return Visit - what did we miss last time?

From the less than favourable reviews I have read it sounds like it should be shut down - it could be a unique experience - if managed properly - feeling very sad for those that are captive there :( thanks Grahame

Australia
Destination Expert
for Port Vila, Vanuatu
Level Contributor
2,308 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Return Visit - what did we miss last time?

Yeah well…I wanted today lots of unflattering swear words about those places but…. It won't be long until people wake up to the BS and stop patronising such places.

You will have a much nicer time elsewhere tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g294144…

Edited: 6:01 am, February 28, 2014
Sydney
Level Contributor
131 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Return Visit - what did we miss last time?

Hi Frangipani, Towoc / Towock Bungalows is a lovely spot to stay near Champagne Beach. Port Olry also has a beautiful beach, and is known for reliable turtle sightings.

If you like the look of Moso Island, off Port Vila, it is possible to stay there. Tranquillity Island Resort on Moso is fairly basic accommodation, but the turtles are great and the snorkelling sublime.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,862 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Return Visit - what did we miss last time?

Yes I agree with SampsonSarah and PeaceAndLight. We really enjoyed visiting the turtles on Moso Island on the Coongoola day trip. It's a good way to see a different part of Efate. These are mostly baby turtles of varying sizes and species.

Also the gorgeous Champagne Beach area is a good way to spot turtles in the wild which is a real thrill. We filmed one munching on outcrops sticking out from the Champagne Beach jetty thing. It took off like a rocket when we got a bit close but there's something very exciting about seeing them in the wild.

Jen

8. Re: Return Visit - what did we miss last time?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 10, 2015