We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

west coast santo?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
west coast santo?

hey all! me again! ok so we are pretty sorted with our plans for the xmas/new years east coast (santo) trip (though i always welcome ideas/suggestions!). wondering if anyone has stayed or has any suggestions regarding the west coast or other parts of santo? we have 2 weeks possibly 3 weeks in santo (giving vila and tanna a miss b/c of cost of additional flights), and thinking it might be fun to explore the whole island. all input welcome!

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: west coast santo?

It is very difficult to reach most places on the west coast, as drivable road stops at Tasiriki in the south and Big Bay in the north. Other than that there are just rough walking tracks which take days to walk and require a guide and you need to carry all equipment with you. Not flat tracks either. The alternative is to hire a boat, which will be very expensive due to the cost of petrol.

I'd contact a company like 'Wrecks to Rainforest' in Luganville and ask them. Have a look at www.wreckstorainforest.com and under the heading "Espiritu Santo" they have a number of treks to the interior of Santo with great information as to the difficulties involved.

We have stayed on Santo three times so far. This March we stayed a week and really did not much at all. We could have easily spent another week doing some of the many activities available. You might find you are happy to chill for a bit wherever you stay - the weather is very humid that time of year and life moves at a much slower pace. It's easy to spend a day just relaxing on the beaches under the tamanu trees, jumping in for a swim or snorkel every now and then, reading, chatting, spending time with the locals. There are lovely places to visit for lunch and then enjoy their facilities, taking up most of a day.

Enjoy your planning, cheers Barbara

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: west coast santo?

thanks barbara! yes, probably best left for a day trip instead (as the overnight trecks will be a bit much for us with a young bub. ). i had been doing a little research on the other bungalows (the ones beyond olry in the north??? and some on the west coast) and they sound amazing (so unaffected- accom beyond basic but what an authentic experience with the locals!!!!!) . makes lonnoc bungalows look like a 5 star resort in comparison!

will def get in touch with wrecks to rainforest- looks like they've got some great tours (for the things i wouldnt do on my own like big jungle treks etc). man how is it that im only just discovering vanuatu after nearly 10 years in this side of the world?! cannot wait!

any memorable experiences/activities or tours (or ways to do it solo) you recommend for getting to know the "real" vanuatu (we are staying on santo) and its people (beyond the swimming, snorkeling and lounging that we plan to do already!). ? up for a melanesian feast of course for a bit of fun (imagine its set up in a similar way to hawaii's very touristy luau's?) but also would love to do something a little more authentic. also would be really happy to partake in any way if there is an opportunity for helping/volunteering in a local community on santo for a day or two (or more if we stay a full 3 weeks)? any suggestions of community projects that we should tap into? thanks again!!!

3. Re: west coast santo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, June 10, 2014