We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety and dress in Santo

Bordon, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Safety and dress in Santo

We've just booked 2 weeks in Santo and I have been reading more up about the country and was shocked to see reports of rapes, peeping and warnings about dress. These sites talked about covering up even to go in the sea, not walking anywhere alone if you are a woman even in the day time and locking all doors + windows and even covering them. How worried should I be? I had hoped to dive but as partner doesnt dive that puts paid to that if Icant leave hotel on my own and I wont be happy if I cant relax on the beach or in sea without being fully clothed! Please advise me. Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Denarau Island
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety and dress in Santo

Hi Bubbles,

Were you perhaps reading an official government travel warning site? If so, yes, note what they say but please dont take it too seriously. Despite all warnings that it probably would happen, I did NOT get attacked by a Grizzly Bear in Canada! lol! They do tend to exaggerate a bit.

These things certainly do happen in Vanuatu ,as they do just about everywhere else in the world. Yes, do be wary, dont wander off with men you dont know. Do lock your doors, just as you would at home. As for clothing, swimwear is fine at a resort/hotel or on a diving trip, but dress modestly when out in public.

The Ni-van people are very friendly, so if someone sems to be "overly" friendly to you, chances are its perfectly innocent. Just take the same precautions you would at home & you should have a wonderful trip.

Anni

Edited: 6:37 am, May 20, 2012
Bordon, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety and dress in Santo

Thank you for the reasurance.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety and dress in Santo

Wow that is amazing. What a horrible view of a beautiful country and people to be given. Someone has either really got the wrong end of the stick or as Anni said, the warning is to cover any and every possible occurrence no matter how remote the possibility is.

I can honestly say I have never felt unsafe anywhere in Vanuatu. The reason you dress modestly is because the ni-Vanuatu people are modest and mostly Christian and themselves choose to dress conservatively. It is out of respect for others around you, not fear. As Anni said, locals might sometimes seem really friendly, and that's because they are! They may ask many questions which to us might seem overly familiar, but they ask out of genuine interest in you. They are a curious people, so maybe someone mistook that for 'peeping' - they might have just wanted to see what the silly westerners were up to, totally innocently.

I have no doubt that bad things happen occasionally in Vanuatu, as in every country in the world, but I haven't ever heard anything on this forum about harm to a tourist. In fact, with the strong village ties in Vanuatu, there would be hell to pay if someone brought shame on their village by causing harm to a tourist. Vanuatu is an amazing place. Read through this forum and through the thousands of reviews of accommodation, activities etc, and get a truer feel for this magical place.

Cheers, Barbara

Bordon, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety and dress in Santo

Thanks Barbara

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,513 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety and dress in Santo

As a solo female traveller, I walked alone frequently in Vanuatu (Efate and Tanna) with absolutely no problems. I did take some care with clothing on Tanna, wearing tops with short sleeves and skirts rather than pants, due to the ni-Vanuatu sense of modesty. What you have read sounds over the top and is far from my experience.

Cronulla, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety and dress in Santo

I really think you must have been reading about Santo in the domican republic, Espirtu Santo is the most beautiful place in the world with the most beautiful people, never felt safer anywhere !!

Bordon, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety and dress in Santo

I'm not that stupid! This was a govenment official site for Santo, Vanuatu.

Thank you so much to all those who have reasured me, it was very kind of you to take the time out to reply. I am going to stop worrying about it.

Best wishes,

Ingrid

8. Re: Safety and dress in Santo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, June 22, 2013