We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A question to the snorkellers who used the gear at Moyyans

NSW South Coast
Level Contributor
26 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
A question to the snorkellers who used the gear at Moyyans

We are staying at Moyyans in August, and we want to travel with carry on luggage only. Are we better off bringing our own snorkelling gear? Or is the gear supplied by Moyyans good quality? We want to travel as light as possible:).

Aore Adventure Sports & Lodge
Other Outdoor Activities, Fishing Charters & Tours, Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Island Time Kayaking Tours - Day Tours
Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Kayaking & Canoeing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A question to the snorkellers who used the gear at Moyyans

Hi Paradise

We just got back from some time at Moyyan (you will love love LOVE it there). My husband used the flippers which were very good. We have our own snorkels so didn't use theirs. IWe also carried some short flippers which were fine. My husband just wanted to try their longer ones.

So, not knowing for sure, I would venture a guess based on the quality of the flippers that the snorkels & goggles should be fine to use. Not sure if you can take them out of the resort though. It might be worth checking with the managers by email if it's possible. Otherwise you will miss out on snorkeling blue holes and other beautiful beaches if you tour around.

I wish you luck taking carry on luggage only. I cut down my luggage drastically this time, but my 'just in case' medicine bag would have taken up half a carry-on!. You won't need many clothes of course, and if you do end up taking your own snorkeling gear, it does take up a lot of room. For us it was worth it because we were going to 3 different islands.

Cheers, and I recommend Moyyan highly, Barbara

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
148 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A question to the snorkellers who used the gear at Moyyans

Hi Paradise,

The snorkelling gear at Moyyans is of fairly good quality. Personally I think if you have your own snorkels and masks then you should take them, if you are worried about baggage then it is OK to leave the fins at home. I just feel that it is more hygenic, also as OldNHappy points out you may not be able to take the gear off site. You can cope snorkelling without fins but without a mask it is a bit hard :)

Have fun - it is a beautiful place

11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A question to the snorkellers who used the gear at Moyyans

Hi Paradise Preachers,

thank you for your enquiry here about our snorkelling gear,

I totally agree that if you intend to do alot of snorkelling (and there is plenty of it here) then your own mask would be highly advised. Our gear is good quality, however for comfort and fit, your own mask is always better. You are welcome to have use of our complimentary fins and are more than welcome to take these with you when heading out exploring but I do agree that your own mask is nearly essential. However, if you do not intend to do a great deal of snorkelling, then ours will suffice just nicely if you have no room in your carry on (although a sarong and swimsuit is about all you need to pack for Santos dress code!).

Hope this helps.

Moyyan - House by the Sea

4. Re: A question to the snorkellers who used the gear at Moyyans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, March 27, 2013