We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to get home from Lope Lope ?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
139 reviews
Save Topic
How to get home from Lope Lope ?

Hi,

Visiting in June, probably staying at Oyster Island or Aore Island. We hear that at Oyster Island they basically close the bar and turn all the lights out at 9.00pm, but sometimes we like to stay up and play cards or go out for a walk / drink / coffee etc after tea. Access to Lope lope from Aore sounds quite easy since there would be taxis at Luganville. However, how easy is it to get from Oyster Island to Lope Lope in the evening ? ( I think it is only around 5km down the road ? ). And if we left Lope Lope at around 11.00pm, how easy would it be to get a taxi back to Oyster Island ? And is the ferry still there after 11.00pm ? Or is it a one hour walk back along the beach ?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How to get home from Lope Lope ?

Mike, you might find yourselves ready for bed much earlier than you would usually be. I am a night owl, but in Vanuatu I'm always ready for bed by 9pm if not before. It's dark very early and then light very early. You could certainly stay up and play cards etc in your own room if you wished at Oyster Island. We just bombed.

Have you checked with Lope Lope if they are actually open that time of night ? The staff at any resort are up very early so I'd be surprised if they are rocking on too late. Santo is much more of an activities during the day and chilling at night sort of place.

Getting a taxi that late at night could be a bit dicey. You would probably pay premium as they'd have to drive out from Luganville, pick up up, deliver you wherever and then back to Luganville.

To get over to Oyster Island you need to bang on a big gong to get their attention to bring the little ferry over, or otherwise organise an exact time to be there. It is moored on Oyster. I'd be surprised if the staff would be too pleased about coming over that late, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure what you mean about 'a one hour walk back along the beach'? Unfortunately you couldn't just wander along the beach from Lope Lope to where the Oyster Island ferry leaves. It isn't all beach, there are mangroves and creeks and village houses all along that area.

Why not email the various places you mentioned and ask them what is available for night activities, taxis etc. I know Oyster Island is very good at answering emails, and I'm sure the others are too. I'd be interested to hear what the replies are, in case someone else asks similar questions.

Cheers, Barbara

Campbelltown...
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How to get home from Lope Lope ?

lol @ "a big gong"

Its actually an old gas tank.

We too are normally ready for bed about 8.30/9pm when in vanuatu. We find we exhaust ourselves during the day doing various things and because the sun is always up early, so are we!

Jody

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How to get home from Lope Lope ?

Thanks for the info -

Lope Lope looks like a big Sports Bar, with a huge bar area and big Screens downstairs, and Pool Tables, Dats Boards etc upstairs.

OK, we can't walk back along the beach, so looks like it is a drunken stagger back along the road ? I just have no idea how far it is to Lope Lope - if it is 4 - 5km it might be walkable, if it is 10km then probably too far. Maybe we can hire bikes ?

In recent years we have holidayed in Malaysia, Bali and Thailand, and we always go for a walk for an hour or so after tea, and I am sure it is much hotter and more humid in Asia than it is in Vanuatu in June.

I guess we could just go for a walk around the Island - how long does it take to walk around Oyster Island ? And can you do it after tea ? ie Are the paths lit up ?

Adelaide
Level Contributor
1,325 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How to get home from Lope Lope ?

In a word, no. There are not actually lit paths as such except for near the bungalows. There is a very rough path across the island through the grassy area (complete with cows) and forest but most of the island is very much a wild place, absolutely beautiful but not developed for strolling. There is a lot of stepping over fallen logs, around huge trees and rocks and through thick vegetation. I remember someone saying you can walk around the island in an hour to hour and a half, but it is definitely not a stroll after dinner type of situation. You can get an idea of how thick the forest is if you have a look on google maps.

There are some photos taken by a regular here - https:/… . Wow long link sorry! Bear in mind this was 3 years ago, and as at last year it was much prettier and more lush than then.

I'm not really sure what to suggest - maybe email Lope Lope and ask how far they are away and if it's walkable. There are no footpaths and the road isn't lit and is quite narrow in that area. Bikes would be dangerous at night. I don't know if they are even available to hire.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
81 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How to get home from Lope Lope ?

Thanks for that. I have just received another Email from Oyster Island. The last ferry is at 9.00pm, so if we are not back on the island by 9.00pm we will have to sleep on the beach at Lope Lope ! Or take our own kayaks with us ?

The ferry to Aore Island is available 24 hours, but at night there is a 3500vt charge per trip, so it would cost us around $10.00 each.

6. Re: How to get home from Lope Lope ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:42 pm, June 17, 2013