We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uyuni tour itinerary question

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
174 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Uyuni tour itinerary question

Hi,

I have a question about the itinerary offered by Ruta Verde listed here: www.rutaverdebolivia.com/uyuni-tours.php . They only offer 3 day/2 nights tours instead of the standard 4 day/3 nights and I was wondering how much would I be missing from the point of view of photography? Are there some particularly scenic places not included in this itinerary? We will be visiting at the beginning of July if that makes a difference.

I like the company because they seem to book reliable drivers and slightly better hotels (Tayaka). They are, however, quite expensive (I was quoted at $ 580 pp for a private tour, which is essentially $1160 per car).

I've seen much better rates for a private 4-day tour, but other agencies seem to be way less reliable. A good itinerary is my priority and I would also like to stay at Tayaka hotels with some heat and electricity to charge my camera batteries. Please advise. Thanks!

mb

Salty Desert Aventours
Multi-day Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Andes Salt Expeditions Tour Operator
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Multi-day Tours, Day Trips
Expediciones Estrella Del Sur Bolivia
Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
103 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uyuni tour itinerary question

You might be confused, the standard tour from Uyuni is 3 day 2 nights. You might be thinking of the tours that leave from Tupiza, which are usually longer 3 night 4 day tours because they have a longer distance to cover.

You will definitely have to pay more for the Tayaka hotels. We saw everything we needed to see in 3 days and 2 nights. You might consider staying near the Salt Flats for a day, since standard tours only let you on the salar for about an hour. The Lunar Salada hotel is very good and only a 45 minute walk to the salt flats.

Wroclaw, Poland
Level Contributor
174 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uyuni tour itinerary question

Thanks so much for your answer!

I was indeed thinking about a standard tour from Tupiza (4 days/3nights) with Tupiza Tours vs. the 3 day/2nights tour booked through Ruta Verde, which leaves from Uyuni. Is the 1 extra day (the first day driving from Tupiza) especially scenic? Should I opt for that itinerary rather than the shorter one from and to Uyuni?

I have never been to Bolivia before and I have no idea what to choose. All I know is that I’d like a safe tour (i.e. not done by a drunk driver) and I’m willing to pay for it (although I definitely don’t have money to waste). I would love to be able to recharge my camera batteries, so I suppose Tayka hotels are my only option for reliable electricity?

Thank you again, especially for the tip about Lunar Salada Hotel! I will try to stay there. Is it possible to venture out to see the salt planes alone or would you recommend hiring a guide?

mb

3. Re: Uyuni tour itinerary question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, February 02, 2015