We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Uyuni Tours

Which Uyuni hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brooklyn, New York
3 posts
Save Topic
Uyuni Tours

Can anyone recommend a reliable (and safe) 3d/2n tour of the salt flats?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Uyuni Tours

I used Blue Line Service, they were okay for one of the cheap tours

http://salardeuyunitour.com/

You can also book a tour thru Kanoo Tours, which might be better since they can add on your transportation to Uyuni, and are probably more reliable than any of the Uyuni agencies.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Uyuni Tours

I also used Blue Line and were happy with them - decent food, reliable driver and vehicle. I've also heard very good things about Red Planet.

Keep in mind the accommodations are very basic whichever tour service you use.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
124 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Uyuni Tours

After pouring over the many tour companies that offer tours to the Salar, I settled on Red Planet Expeditions and don't regret it at all. They go above and beyond. One of the nights was particularly freezing and we were the envy of everyone else in the hostal since our tour group was given hot water bottles for warmth. Our guide was named Ever and he was very good - he drove very safely and was very accommodating. Btw, we stayed at Le Petite Porte and I cannot describe how comfortable it was after 3 days in the salar. It was an oasis in the middle of the desert. Ahhh...memories!

La Paz, Bolivia
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Uyuni Tours

I traveled with Inti Raymi (in front of the Train Station at the 1st floor of Julia Hotel), the manager is Soraida and she speaks good english that helps for a one day tour.

It would be also good if you book from a reliable company in La Paz because they have chosen the best operators in Uyuni, since Uyuni is a small town with many companies and part of them do not work properly; also in La Paz the can provide you transportation to Uyuni.

Here you have a directory of tour companies in La Paz that organice tours to Uyuni: www.visitbolivia.org/ogd/our-partners/189/2

I found an article about some practical information about the Uyuni, until you star your trip i would be good to take a quick look at it:

7 things they don't tell you about the Uyuni, Bolivia tours

1. Bring extra cash

2. Don't expect to shower well or at all (THERE HAVE BEEN IMPROVEMENTS SO YOU COULD FIND HOT SHOWER WITH EXTRA CHARGE)

3. Bring extra camera batterys and memory cards

4. Best if you're planning to go to Chile

5. Onward travel - Trying to leave Uyuni

6. Bring flipflops

7. It gets cold at night

Complete article here: artofbackpacking.com/7-things-they-dont-tell…

There is also an alternative to the basic shelters that are included at the 3 day classical tour in Uyuni there are the Tayka hotel Network and the Luna Salada Hotel wich have good service, heating and hot shower, but the price at this hotels are a lot higher.

The hotels are made of salt bloks and one of them is builted in the Siloli Desert of in the middle

nothing!!!!! beautiful experience. Here is some information about them:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g317033-d854615…

latebolivia.com/index.php/en/local-communiti…

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,685 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Uyuni Tours

jucumari - I think most of those points are made often on here.

The flats are at altitude. Everywhere at altitiude, even the Equator, gets cold at night.

"Bring flipflops". Also, bring clothes and money. No-one tells you that!

:-)

La Paz, Bolivia
Level Contributor
78 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Uyuni Tours

Hi! thank you very much for your comments, yes you are right, let´s be clear:

About altitude we are talking about 3600 masl at the salt flat and 4200 masl at the foot of Licancabur Volcano, I thing this is important to consider.

And about flip flops, well this recommendation is very important specially during the rainy season because most of the salt flat is covered with water and it is essential to have them unless you want to stay at the car while everybody is walking around.

7. Re: Uyuni Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, February 24, 2014