We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone use Kanoo Tours

wi
Level Contributor
76 posts
1 review
Save Topic
anyone use Kanoo Tours

Has anyone used Kanoo Tours for the salt flats? They seem legit and have good prices. thanks!

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone use Kanoo Tours

Hello, I'm interested to know the answer, too

Sydney
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: anyone use Kanoo Tours

This would be great to know as I'm looking at booking with these guys for May.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: anyone use Kanoo Tours

They are a legit travel agency, not a tour operator. Ask which company they use in Uyuni. I assume they put together a package of the bus tickets from La Paz and the tour in Uyuni.

Edited: 1:55 pm, April 10, 2012
London, England...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: anyone use Kanoo Tours

As far as I've heard Kanoo use a tour operator called Tunupa, based in Uyuni, which has had mixed reviews. Tupiza Tours seem well recommended...

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: anyone use Kanoo Tours

Tupiza tours operates out of Tupiza, which is convenient if you are coming in from Argentina but less so for those starting in La Paz or wanting to end in Chile.

You have to factor in to the whinge factor, the cost for the standard Uyuni tour is only about $100 plus park entry.

Most tours go off without any major mishap, other than some mediocre meals and a flat tire. The scenery is fantastic. If you want to see the flats at sunrise and sunset the standard 3/2 Uyuni turs dont necessarily do a good job there.

There are other luxury tours that use the Takya hotels although whether that is worth while is an individual consideration.

Southampton, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: anyone use Kanoo Tours

Hi

I used Kanoo Tours to book travel to and from La Paz to Uyuni for Salt Flat Tours. Also used them to book the 3 day Salt Flat tour with Red Planet.

I booked the Todo Toursimo bus & the Red Planet tour via the Kanoo Tours website about a month before I wanted to visit.

The booking was acknowledged immediately and the staff at Kanoo also helped out by letting me know that if I changed my plans around a little bit I could save some time.

Each email to Kanoo was responded to within hours & the staff were really friendly and helpful.

When I arrived in La Paz, I popped into the Kanoo Tours Office to check if I needed anything else before I got the bus. Again, the staff were extremely friendly and more than happy to help me (not that I needed anything as it had all been sorted out with the online booking).

The tour with Red Planet was amazing.

Very happy with Kanoo tours and the service they provide and also the operators that I used via their agency.

I would recommend Kanoo Tours if you are looking to get travel and tours booked in Bolivia.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: anyone use Kanoo Tours

We used Kanoo Tours (they were attached to the hostel we stayed at there). They arranged a tour of Tiwanaku for us, which was good apart from getting salmonela from the restaurant they took us to for lunch.

Secondly, we booked a bus ticket from La Paz to Copacabana, Lake Titicaca. The bus didn't turn up, they told us another would come in an hour, that one didn't turn up. We then spent an hour getting our money back and taking the buses that just run every 20 minutes from the cemetery.

As a result of the time wasted, we missed the ferry onto Isla de Sol and had to spend a day in an expensive hostel somewhere we didn't want to be.

I would not recommend Kanoo Tours, to put it lightly.

vienna
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: anyone use Kanoo Tours

kanoo tour did not meet our expections. we were mor then disapointed. we booked bus tickets form sucre to la paz and bus tickets from copa to puno and it turned all out as a mess as we got tickets for the wrong date and had to pay 10 Dollars more so that we get the right tickets and the same turned out with our tickets to pune.

Do not use this company when you are expecting some service. Additionally the bus comany which was supposed to pick us up for our trip did not appear. 3 hours later we got the information from kanoo tours that the bus company has troubles. this was more than unsatifying . My advice is don't use kanoo tours. Go the the next local bus agency in time and organize your ticket there. This will save you a lot of money

Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: anyone use Kanoo Tours

I would avoid Kanoo tours at all costs! Whilst in La Paz we booked a salt flat tour with a bus to Uyuyni and after the tour a transfer into Chile. Everything seemed fine but we popped into the office the day of our bus (it was a night bus) to check everything was ok and whether there was any more information we needed. We were told there was not so we assumed everything was ok. How wrong were we! We left an hour and 15 to do a journey which should have taken no more than ten minutes! However, the lady at Kanoo tours had failed to mention there was a carnival that evening and the roads were all all closed. ! We had tried ringing kanoo on the way to tell them situation but no answer! An hour and a half later we arrived at the bus station, but too late unforntunatley. The following morning we went to the bus company (Todo tourism) , spoke to the guy at reception and he said that the bus had waited 35 minutes for us and that he had called Kanoo tours to ask where we were. The person at Kanoo said they had no record of us at all....?? So the bus left! If they had phoned us, they would have found out we were 5 minutes away and would have held the bus. But kanoo failed to do this. We then went to the Kanoo tour office, but helpfully they were closed. We haven't anything from them since, despite calling! Please stay away from Kanoo tours!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
38 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: anyone use Kanoo Tours

I'm sorry the above poster had such a bad experience with the Kanoo booked bus. We booked our salt flats tour with them when we were in La Paz (a week earlier) and had no problems. The tour with Tunupa was delivered as promised (the (minor) issues/annoyances we had were with Tunupa, and it seems all the operators have the same problems.

If anything, we were "under promised" for the tour, as we were told certain sites wouldn't be visited, because of the water levels on the Salar, and then we were able to go, as the water dropped.