We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Touring Uyuni from La Paz

Which Uyuni hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
11,508 posts
111 reviews
Save Topic
Touring Uyuni from La Paz

I am going to be in South America for a month visiting Peru, Argentina and Brazil in August. Given this will likely be my only trip to South America, I am looking at adding a few days and flying into La Paz so I can see the Salar de Uyuni, then meeting up with my friends in Lima after that.

I have found a G Adventures tour for 11 days and costing $1249 which includes Potosi, Sucre and the salt flats. This will add up when I add in food, excursions etc.

gadventures.com/trips/…

My questions:

1. My interest really lies in the salt flats. Is there a 3-4 days tour from La Paz that could incorporate these, so I don't need to spend as much as the G Adventures tour would cost?

2. Are Potosi and Sucre really interesting such that it makes the longer 11 day tour worthwhile?

3. As I will be traveling on my own in Bolivia until I meet friends in Lima, should I stick with a tour from La Paz, or is safety on buses and trains ok down to Uyuni and joining a tour there? Are the tours operating out of Uyuni safe for a woman traveling alone - is there a company you would recommend?

Many thanks for any help.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Touring Uyuni from La Paz

"Are Potosi and Sucre really interesting"

It all depends on what your interests are and what the tour itinerary is for these two stops.

We loved Sucre which is a delightful colonial town with some amazing architecture and spent 3 full days there. We enjoyed a day trip to one of the weaving villages as it gave us chance to see something of the surrounding countryside which is very different.

Potosi is dominated by Cerro Ricca mountain and also has some interesting old builings and amazing churches (now museums). We didn't do the mine trip ans crawling around underground passage ways at 4500m at temperatures around 30˚C didn't appeal to us.

If it helps you to decide whether they are worth seeing, our pictures are here:

wasleys.org.uk/SthAmer_websites/sth_amer_10_…

wasleys.org.uk/SthAmer_websites/sth_amer_10_…

We did this trip the other way round - from Salar de Uyuni to Potosi, Sucre and La Paz.

Santa Cruz, Bolivia
Level Contributor
32 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Touring Uyuni from La Paz

Hi Kate,

To try and answer your questions;

"1. My interest really lies in the salt flats. Is there a 3-4 days tour from La Paz that could incorporate these, so I don't need to spend as much as the G Adventures tour would cost?"

there are a lot of companies in la paz that offer this trip when you get into the hotel you have you can ask them and they will recommend one for you. i never did this as it is cheaper to go and do it your self but i under stand way you would want to have it all book and shorted. no thinking, no stress.

"2. Are Potosi and Sucre really interesting such that it makes the longer 11 day tour worthwhile?"

Potosi is cool and very interesting to go into the mines but not everyone enjoys it. i enjoyed it. Sucre is an interesting place too and i agree with the comment above on Sucre, but yer i would say the salt flats are going to be the highlights. if you have time and the want / interest in mines and colonel cites.

the good thing is it would break up long bus trips.

3. As I will be traveling on my own in Bolivia until I meet friends in Lima, should I stick with a tour from La Paz, or is safety on buses and trains ok down to Uyuni and joining a tour there? Are the tours operating out of Uyuni safe for a woman traveling alone - is there a company you would recommend?

the tours in Uyuni are big business, are are very safe, you will be put in a group with other travelers safety in not a problem. i took buses from Uyuni, to potoci, to sucre. and on a secound trip i took the train from Uyuni to oruro, then a bus to cochabamba then a bus on to la paz. also i have done a bus from la Paz to Uyuni. the buses are safe just finding the one you want is a bit of a shop around. the train is easier to sleep on cos the roads are quite bad but the train doesn't go all the way.

i would say the best way is to just get a night bus to Uyuni, then when you get there in the morning sort out your hotel then ask a few agents there and get the tour you want; there are 1 day, and 3 day and i think even 5 day tours. i have done the 1 day and the 3 day tours. the companies are many and they change all the time i would ask someone when you there if they have done the tour did they like it? then go for that one on the most up to date info. when i was there last year they was building an airport that was ment to be finished for 2012 so might be worth a look too.

all the best i hope this helps,

Simon B

www.backpackersbackpacking.co.uk

3. Re: Touring Uyuni from La Paz

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, June 15, 2013