We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

mendoza and salta treks

Which Cafayate hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
mendoza and salta treks

hi!

I will be travelling in Argentina in March/April. For BAires I have my plans ready, but for Mendoza and Salta I am sort of wondering whether to take a ho(s)tel in the centre and organise trips from there coming back to the city each time, or leave the cities to find accommodation in the surrounding areas. I will be visiting each of the areas for a week.

any tips are welcome !

Lian

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: mendoza and salta treks

I think you could do day trips from Mendoza but I would certainly either hire a car yourselves or a car and guide and stay out of Salta, we stayed a night in Purmamarca in the North and one night in Cachi and another night in Cafayate and would definitely do the same again because the distances are so far, you don't realise how long it takes to do 100 kms until you are there, for example the Salta to Cachi road is all gravel, you will absolutely love the Salta area, it's incredible.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
365 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: mendoza and salta treks

Agree w/ Chrella - stay a few nights in Salta to visit the sights and the penas at night, but don't try to do daytrips from there. We had some day trips that were 12-15 hours, not realizing the distances were so great.

I would go back in a heartbeat, so beautiful and totally different from the rest of Argentina.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,208 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: mendoza and salta treks

Even in Mendoza I think you would want to get out of the City and visit country areas and other cities. The city of San Rafael for one is worth a few nights and is in an ideal location for rafting, trekking, horseriding and many other activities. You also have some great smaller towns which you would find interesting and it would be a pity to have to backtrack all the time to the city of Mendoza. Have a look at Welcome Argentina site and the Mendoza government tourist site to plan out your itinerary.

Argentina
Level Contributor
3,483 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: mendoza and salta treks

As you are coming to SAlta I suggest to take two or three days for Cafayate and reserve some time for the province of Jujuy also, as Purmamarca is one of those magic places you will never forget.

There are plenty of trials around Purmamarca and Tilcara. Like Los Colorados, The Devil´s throat... and many others.

In cafayate I suggest to go to Rio Colorado and also do some treks in the Quebrada.

Enjoy the area. Have a great time!

Angie/Giena

Brussels, Belgium
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: mendoza and salta treks

dear all, thank you so much for your tips! I will have only one week in each of the locations, it will be a challenge to make choices here. thanks !

Lian

Córdoba
Level Contributor
571 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: mendoza and salta treks

Hello Lian,

Indeed both Mendoza and Salta are great areas to discover.

In the Mendoza area I would also recommend to stay one or two nights in the Uco Valley, famous for its great wines and view on the Cordón del Plata (Andes mountain range). In the area of Las Vegas you can also make some great hikes (day trips) or horseback riding.

Another option (an option which a lot of our customers choose to do) is travel to both Talampaya and Ischigualasto parks from Mendoza. To do so you will need at least 3 days.

You already received some good advice for the Salta & Jujuy area. Another suggestion is to make a 3 days hike or horseback riding trip, in the middle of nowhere (North of the Cachi region). Truly spectacular!

Enjoy Argentina,

Jan.

7. Re: mendoza and salta treks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, March 21, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cafayate