We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hluhluwe & Mkuze vs. Tuli Block

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
930 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hluhluwe & Mkuze vs. Tuli Block

next april I will have about 5 nights to spare before my wife and our daughter will join me for our annual trip to KTP and KNP...first I was thinking of driving up to the Tuli Block in Botswana but the more I think about it, the more I believe that a combination of Hluhluwe and Mkuze might be a better idea...

I should point out that my main wish is to find wild dogs and from what I've read so far, the chances of seeing them in either of these parks / reserves are pretty much the same (correct me if you think I'm wrong!)...however, in Hluhluwe and Mkuze I can do both guided drives and self drives whereas in Tuli I'd pretty much be stuck with the guided drives (I know that in theory you can do self drives in Tuli, too, I just don't think I'd risk it, I won't have a 4WD and neither a GPS system)...so in ZA I could spend much more time in the bush than in BOT...ZA would also be (slightly) cheaper although this hardly matters...

I've been to both Hluhluwe and Mkuze before and I admit, I was not impressed...however, that was seven years ago, my first self drive safari ever, when I hardly knew how to organise myself...I'm also sure that the Tuli Block is more "wild" than pretty much all of the ZA parks...and yet I'm still leaning towards Hluhluwe and Mkuze...at this stage I'd really like to know how "good" the chances are to see wild dogs there and / or at the Tuli Block

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hluhluwe & Mkuze vs. Tuli Block

Hi.

I've been to Imfolozi (part of Hluhluwe) 3 times in the last 4yrs, including a trip to Mkuze the one year. I'm yet to see wild dogs. But have had the most amazing white rhino & other animal experiences.

I'm wondering if your poor experience in Hluhluwe was because you were based at Hilltop rather than Mpila and spent your time in the Hluhluwe section of the park instead of (to my experience) the more game rich Imfolozi section? If so, I'd seriously suggest spending a few days based at Mpila camp in Imfolozi.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
930 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hluhluwe & Mkuze vs. Tuli Block

yeah, that might be part of the reason, I did indeed stay at Hilltop Camp and would now choose Mpila

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hluhluwe & Mkuze vs. Tuli Block

We were up in the Tuli Block and we saw plenty of wild dogs. In the Mkuze and Hluhluwe region we have never spotted one single wild dogs. If the Tuli Block is too far or inconvenient to driave then another area I can really recommend ist Madikwe Game Reserve, here we also saw plenty of wild doges. This Reserve bordert Botswana and the scenery is really nice and wild and you don't need a 4x4.

Hope this helps

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
54 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hluhluwe & Mkuze vs. Tuli Block

Had a look at Madikwe, it does look good.

However it's another exclusive game park that doesn't cater for self-drives or self-catering and is priced well above the kind of rates that you'd pay in a National park such as Imfolozi or Mkuze. I guess if you're paying in Euros/Pounds/Dollars it's not that relevant, but in Rands it's fairly pricey in comparison.

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
930 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hluhluwe & Mkuze vs. Tuli Block

yeah, I agree with Nick, Madikwe is both too expensive and does not cater for self drivers...Inyati, where in the Tuli block did you stay?

Frankfurt, Germany
Level Contributor
452 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hluhluwe & Mkuze vs. Tuli Block

We stayed at Mashatu Tent Camp,which is in the northern Tuli Game Block. But this is also an expensive camp and is not for self drivers.

Take a look at the website of www-tulilodge.com, they have some self catering camps. But also in this area you cannot sef drive. It appears that self drives in the entire northern Tuli Block are prohibited.

Regards

Michaela from Cape Town Guide

Cologne, Germany
Level Contributor
930 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hluhluwe & Mkuze vs. Tuli Block

it's not exactly prohibited but it is neither encouraged; Wild at Tuli does allow them

8. Re: Hluhluwe & Mkuze vs. Tuli Block

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:15 pm, August 22, 2013