We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel to Maracaibo

Richmond, Virginia
3 posts
Save Topic
travel to Maracaibo

I would like to travel to Maracaibo in August and would like to know if it is safe for Americans to travel there and some advice on the best safe places to stay for a reasonable price and also if it is safe to travel to Caracas and some advice on travel there.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel to Maracaibo

There is really no such thing as safe or unsafe for a specific nationality unless you go to the areas where the Colombian guerrilla operate. In Maracaibo, people won't know that you are American unless you fit the stereotype (including dressing like it). If you are white for example, but you dress like the locals and get a slight tan on your first day, you'll be taken for a white Venezuelan (typically middle class and higher). However, these upper class Venezuelans don't go walking around downtown taking pictures. You should be perfectly safe in Maracaibo as long as you don't wander off into strange places. As for Caracas, it's my town. Contact me before you come an I'll be glad to help you enjoy my interesting tropical city.

2. Re: travel to Maracaibo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 27, 2010