We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Caracas to Ciudad Bolivar - any advice appreciated

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Caracas to Ciudad Bolivar - any advice appreciated

Hello, I'm trying to plan my journey from Caracas Airport to Ciudad Bolivar, but not much luck with online searches.

My internationl flight arrives about 18:00 on a firday, ideally I'd like to go straight to Ciudad Bolivar. Rutaca is the only airline i've found but I think the last flight leaves less than an hour after I arrive?

Does anyone kindly have any information on flying or if I would still have time to catch an overnight bus?

Any help really really appreciated as i'll be travelling alone it would be lovely to get this arranged beforehand.

Plaza Bolivar
Points of Interest & Landmarks
Paseo Orinoco
Castles, Historic Sites, Historic Walking Areas, Lookouts
Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Caracas to Ciudad Bolivar - any advice appreciated

There are overnight buses with Rodovias, the last one leaving at 10pm. You will need to get to their terminal by Parque Los Caobos in central Caracas first. Or there is a bus at 7:30am the next morning :

www.rodovias.com.ve/terminales-rutas.asp…

The last Aeroexpresos Ejecutivos bus leaves at 9:15pm from their terminal in Chacao :

http://www.aeroexpresos.com.ve/rutas.php

There are other bus companies but these are perhaps the best two, and that I can personally recommend anyway.

Edited: 10:48 am, November 20, 2010
Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Caracas to Ciudad Bolivar - any advice appreciated

First you didn't indicate what time period you will be arriving.

If it is during a busy time like Christmas / New Year's, Carnaval or Easter Week then it's essential that you have advance reservations for flights. Also bus depots are very chaotic during vacation periods

Friday is always a busy time & it will take at least 1½ hours to clear customs & immigration on an International flight.

It's a long, long way from Caracas to Ciudad Bolivar by bus. Better to fly if you can. You will probably have to wait until the following morning.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Caracas to Ciudad Bolivar - any advice appreciated

I agree with Playaelagua, with the chaotic airport on a Friday and the possibility of your flight being delayed it is risky booking a bus for the same evening. Better to rest the night and go the next morning. It is a good 8 hours at least by bus to Ciudad Bolivar, if you go by day at least you will see the scenery, but flying is the best bet.

There are plenty of budget hotels near the Maiquetia airport such as Hotel Catimar.

www.hotelcatimar.com/home.php?idioma=en

Edited: 10:57 am, November 20, 2010
Maracay, Venezuela
Level Contributor
98 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Caracas to Ciudad Bolivar - any advice appreciated

That kind of info is usually hard to find online. Rodovias and Aeroexpresos are the only ones, I think, which offer an online timetable.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Caracas to Ciudad Bolivar - any advice appreciated

Thank you so much for your great advice. I'm flying in to Caracas on 3rd December and can't wait to see the country. As with many people I'm on a bit of a tight budget so it's brilliant to have a number of options. It looks as if time may be tight to get to the bus terminal on a friday evening so i may look at staying near the airport and then flying or taking the bus the next day.

thank you so much again.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Caracas to Ciudad Bolivar - any advice appreciated

Thank you for the information, I've just looked up Rodovias buses, do you know if it's possible to book in advance? I've looked around the website but can't find anywhere for reservations?

Thanks

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Caracas to Ciudad Bolivar - any advice appreciated

It doesn't appear you can book the ticket on their website, but you could contact them to see if they will make you a reservation and allow you to pay on arrival.

http://www.rodovias.com.ve/contacto.asp

8. Re: Caracas to Ciudad Bolivar - any advice appreciated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, May 21, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Ciudad Bolivar