We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WARNING: Angel Falls Tour with Conexion Tours

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
WARNING: Angel Falls Tour with Conexion Tours

Do not go with Conexion Tours http://www.conexiontours.com.ve They are liars.

My husband and I booked a tour with Conexion Tours, based at the bus station, to Canaima National Pack, which included Angel Falls.

The manager, Carlos, seemed really nice, honest and friendly about what was included on the tour. Unfortunately, many of his promises did not come true.

While we saw and did everything promised (Angel Falls, Sapo Falls, etc.) the services were terrible.

1. No English-speaking guide.

I was told that we would have an English-speaking guide. When I arrived at Canaima, the man at the airport who took our vouchers said that he didn't speak English but that our guide who was at the camp did. When we got to the camp, we met our native guide Esteban (or Steven, as he called himself) who only said, "Five minutes." When we left to go to the canoe, he said, "OK, let's go." This was the extent of his English for the whole tour. He did not communicate with anyone in the group except those who spoke Spanish. Later, a Venezuelan girl, another man who spoke near-perfect Spanish and I were trying to explain and ask him something, but he didn't understand us. His Spanish was not that good either.

2. No mosquito nets at Angel Falls camp.

I was told and shown pictures that there would be mosquito nets at the Angel Falls camp. There were none. I got a lot of mosquito bites despite using mosquito repellent.

3. No functioning showers at Angel Falls camp.

I was told and shown pictures that there would be showers at the Angel Falls camp. The showers did not work.

4. Poor quality and insufficient quantity of food and drinks.

I was told that the food was "really good... touristic... meat, salad, rice... you will love it" and that there would be as much water and soft drinks as we wanted.

The first day, the lunch consisted of two stale bread rolls with a little bit of ham, cheese and tomato sauce, plus a small packed of sweet biscuits. It was really bad. We ate this while the canoe was travelling up the river. The whole trip upriver took at least 5 hours. Dinner on the second night consisted of a vegetarian omelette, plantain and rice; no salad or meat. There were huge gaps (up to 7 hours) between meals and there was no fruit or other snacks to have in between. I was very hungry in between meals and feel like I have been on a diet.

When we travelled back from Angel Falls to Canaima, which was 3 1/2 hours under the hot sun, I asked for some water, but was told that there was none and we had to wait till we reached Canaima. The next morning when we asked for some Pepsi to drink while we played cards, we were told we would have to pay 35BSF, but we could have water for free.

5. Timing of Angel Falls visit.

Because they changed the itinerary, we did not arrive at the Angel Falls camp until 3.30pm on the first day. We had to go to see Angel Falls straight away because there were people on the tour who had early flights to Caracas the next day so we would not have time to see the Falls in the morning. We were told to bring torches, if we had them, and we left the camp at 4pm. The walk to the Falls took just under one hour. Then we spent a little time taking photos and swimming. We started walking back to the camp around 5.20pm and this walk took about 1 1/2 hours. It began raining around 5.45pm and was completely dark by 6pm. I slipped on a tree root, fell and bruised my arm and hit my head on a rock, fortunately not too hard. The guide who was walking at the front of the group did not stop to help me or check that I was ok. When we got back to camp, I asked if they had a plaster but there was none, not even a first aid kit.

We got a free night's accommodation in Ciudad Bolívar before the tour and were told that the hotel had hot water. It didn't.

We were picked up at the airport by Carlos' brother, Rivas. When I told him about our problem with the guide not speaking, he offered us a free lunch, which we took - we were starving.

When we confronted Carlos on our return, he didn't listen and just talked at us saying that we had signed a contract (the receipt) and that everything promised (all the activities listed on the receipt) was delivered. He didn't care about anything else and kept repeating himself, saying things like, "What do you want?"

Do not go with Conexion Tours http://www.conexiontours.com.ve They are liars.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WARNING: Angel Falls Tour with Conexion Tours

Alix, sadly, Conexiontours doesn't even have tours. They just resell them. They are middle men. All the tours in Canaima are almost the same except that some DO have English speaking guides. The one I offer to my guests does.

Ok. Some things you should know. When you sleep at the basecamp at Angel Falls, that's government owned. Those hammocks are used by ALL the tour companies. So even if you take VIP tours or El Cheapo tours, you all sleep in the hammocks in the same place that you said had no shower. BTW, most people don't shower.

I understand your dissapointment. However, this average Angel Falls tour is not for everyone. I hope that people that are similar to you in taste and demands read your post and dessist from coming. You're supposed to enjoy sitting 5 hours on a boat and not even think about your stomach. You're supposed to slip on a wet rock and then immediately get up and say "I'm feel gooooood. I love adventure". I would have recommended a fly-over for you. It's only about $60 per person and you fly over Angel Falls, no trecking, no hiking, none of that. I wish tourism in Venezuela was as developed like that of other places where they have everything, including portable showers, power plants, first aid kits, etc. but it's not, and everybody should know it so those that are not willing to rough it out, can do the nice comfortable fly-over instead.

About the food, it should have been better. The average tour there has way better food than what you described. I'm sorry you got duped in a way.

Moscow
Level Contributor
18 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WARNING: Angel Falls Tour with Conexion Tours

Alixjasmine, thank you for your warning about conexion tours and 3day/2 night visit to Canaima/Anglel falls. For me its a timely warning as I was going to take my mother there.

Nelven, may you know a reliable agency to go with to 1day Canaima?

Do you think it is safe to make a prepayment by bank transfer or is it better to go puerto ordaz and book a tour there?

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WARNING: Angel Falls Tour with Conexion Tours

If you're talking about companies, I'd say that Tiuna and Kavak are the main ones. There are luxury ones that are perfect, but they also have luxury prices, and you still have to sleep in the hammocks. With any serious company you can go ahead and send the money, however, it is cheaper if you pay it here because you just might get a better exchange rate than 4.3. Buuut, if you plan to come during high season (dec 15 to Jan 7) you won't find any available flights. I book directly with the person that runs the boats and tours down there, actually cutting out the companies. If you guys are mildly tough, go ahead and do the boat tour with trek and all, you'll enjoy it. If you're the complaining type, I recommend to do a fly-over and soak in all the majesty from above.

Moscow
Level Contributor
18 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WARNING: Angel Falls Tour with Conexion Tours

Thank you Nelven for help and information of agencies and other useful advice, its really hard to find it in Internet.

do you think I would be able to buy tours once in Venezuela (in Caracas, Margarita or Ciudad Bolivar)? yes I travel in middle season - end of February.

and yes, I got your message about the complaining tourists.. so may be I will take the risk of a longer boat trip.

Wishing you a Happy New Year 2011 with more travel and adventure.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WARNING: Angel Falls Tour with Conexion Tours

Haha Zazix, if you are like the majority, you will do your tour happily and live it completely. Yes, you can get it from here, but the prices depend on who you get it from. The reseller travel agencies in Margarita, Caracas, Ciudad Bolivar, etc resell them from 10% to around 50% more. The foreign agencies resell them for 100% more. For my guests, I get it direct from the operators (I cut out the middle guys). So yes, go ahead and come, get it here, it's cheaper, and you will enjoy it, just like all the people from 13 to 75 years old that I've seen having a great time. Just take it like a camping trip and not a VIP excursion, and you'll have a wonderful time traveling through a miracle of nature.

London, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: WARNING: Angel Falls Tour with Conexion Tours

I have just come back from Venezuela and booked thru Francisco Alvarez ( based in Sta Elena Bus Station) and did the Angel Falls 3 days 2 nites tour from CB and got two nites free at conexion tours posada in CB. I paid US$300 for an all inc.

I talked to Carlos, his brother and his wife and they all seem very nice hospitable people. I stayed at the KAVAC camp in Canaima and the tour was very nice.

Ireland
Level Contributor
91 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WARNING: Angel Falls Tour with Conexion Tours

i too booked with Fransico in santa elena and we were pretty happy with the trip. our guide was really young and spoke some english , try and learn some spanish before you go as its really nice to chat with people , i think conexion is more of a tour for backpackers as its pretty cheap and basic but the adventure and camping was all part of the fun , the view of the falls in the morning is breath taking

oundle UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WARNING: Angel Falls Tour with Conexion Tours

Canaima is a wilderness, not a walk in the park - of course there will be some discomfort - it is worth the effort to get to Angel falls, - most of these posts dont SAY A WORD about the fantastic landscape- these people should stick to Disneyland and the holiday Inn...

9. Re: WARNING: Angel Falls Tour with Conexion Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 am, April 21, 2011
Edited: 8:35 am, April 21, 2011
Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WARNING: Angel Falls Tour with Conexion Tours

Hey, does Francisco Alverez's tour include Canaima? Or is it just Angel Falls? I'm asking because of the price. $300 is super low (lower than distrubutor cost for the Canaima/Angel Falls tour). Please let me know. It's great to have alternative trips.

Oh, and to the agency that wrote in spanish: WRONG FORUM..this is the English one, and it's against the rules to promote your webpage/business here, and especially doing so ON YOUR FIRST POST and while attacking a longtime contributor like me. Wow, great start!