We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Female business traveler to Caracas

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1 post
45 reviews
Save Topic
Female business traveler to Caracas

I am potentially having to go to Caracas for two weeks on business. I am concerned about the US State Dept. warning about kidnappings between the airport and town. Is there any truth to this?

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Female business traveler to Caracas

Do not be worried about the State Department warnings - they are there for the most novice/naive travellers just in case. As long as you take the normal sensible precuations for a third world country you will be fine. Eg :

Use official airport taxis, don't flash your money around (especially dollars), take off expensive looking jewelry. Basically use your common sense.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Female business traveler to Caracas

As said above, the SD travel advisory is alarmist and exagerated. It's safe at whatever time as long as you use a pre-arranged pickup service such as the one offered by some hotels (Marriott, Eurobuilding, Palace, Pestana, etc) and guesthouses (Nelson's Place, Casa Luisa, etc). The second best option is to take the OFFICIAL airport taxis (you buy the cab ticket at the airport). However, the airport taxis are easily recognizable as "the airport taxis" (i.e. carrying travelers with goodies) while the cabs used by the pick-up services look like regualar cabs or even passenger cars.

Anyway, you won't get kidnapped. The kidnappers here go for affluent Venezuelans which are plentiful in Caracas and easier victims (no embassies involved). The Venezuelan police does act with diligence when a foreigner is kidnapped. For rich Venezuelans, they could care less unless it hits the papers.

London - The city I...
Level Contributor
178 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Female business traveler to Caracas

The state department warning is well meaning but sadly is partially politically motivated . The best way is to ask the hotel to arrange a pick up service at the airport . It costs a little bit more but you get a vetted driver with a mechinacly sound car and very often the driver speaks reazonable english. This applies for travel to all south and central America and not specifically to Venezuela. Caracas is a nice city and the people are genuine and friendly .

4. Re: Female business traveler to Caracas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 am, January 03, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Caracas