We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female traveler, go or no go?

Which Caracas hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aruba
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo female traveler, go or no go?

Hi, I am a solo female traveler. I am currently in Aruba and am thinking of visiting Caracas for a week before I head to the Island of Margarita. Everyone is telling me not to go because it is unsafe. What do you think? I want to see the city, the museums, the rich part and the poor part and generally get a feel for Caracas and its people.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female traveler, go or no go?

Have the people that are telling you this actually been to Caracas?

Yes of course there are dangerous areas like in any South American city, but you will not be heading into the barrios I am sure. You can see the downtown and historic area of the city, where you will find the museums. And in the eastern part you have your shopping malls, fancy restaurants, etc. Also to be recommended is a trip up El Avila mountain on el teleferico (cable cart), eating strawberries and cream in Galipan, and visiting El Hatillo to the south of Caracas for souvenir shops and more.

The best advice, is research what you want to do, where it is located, and then be confident and blend in with the locals. Do not flash jewellry, etc in public. Just use your general common sense you will have a great time in Caracas. Then you can relax on the great beaches of Margarita!

Aruba
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female traveler, go or no go?

Oh thank you so much! I am going this afternoon and your message sets my mind at some ease. I will follow your advice.

Thanks.

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
515 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female traveler, go or no go?

Kitesurfergirl..I imagine you are on your way to Playa El Yaque in Margarita. By all means, come to Caracas. I live here and I am an expert on my city. What the previous poster told you is right on. I would be happy to give you my famous "Caracas guide sheet" of interesting places to visit. Let me know if you want it and I'll PM you the link.

4. Re: Solo female traveler, go or no go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, November 27, 2010