We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Los Roques mini-review

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Los Roques mini-review

I had a five night visit to Los Roques in Jan 2013 and thought I would post a mini review of the place which may help people who are planning there trip.

Firstly, I read a lot about people saying that you shouldn’t stay more than a couple of nights as you’ll get bored. This is not the case, I wish we had had more than five nights there. Met various people who were there for 10 days/2 weeks and they loved it.

The basics of Los Roques are that they are a collection of small Islands and you will most likely stay on Grand Roques, I think this is the only island with accommodation actually, although I heard about an island with a single house on it that you can hire. On Grand Roques you have lots of Posadas, places to buy beer, sweets, drinks some excellent cheap ice-cream (helado de coco). You can walk up to the top of one of the small peaks on the island (about 20mins from the town) for views of the island and out to see – good for sunset/sunrise.

There are beaches on the main island but generally everyone takes a boat out to one of the other islands. There are many to try, the closest are six minutes away and the furthest is an hour I think. Some have restaurants where you can try cheap lobster others don’t have any shops at all so you need to bring food and drink with you which all posadas can provide. Otherwise there is a Empanada shop (think south American Cornish pasty) which sells cheap and tasty fish, cheese and beef empanadas.

Scuba diving is good there, I saw some decent sized fish and a manta ray. If you’re lucky you’ll see a turtle. There are two scuba diving shops there. The one I went with is close to the airport and run by a Colombian and his son. All the people there were very nice and safety conscious.

Kite surfing – I didn’t do any of this myself but it looks like some of the islands there are excellent places to learn. You have to travel to one of the other island to try it as a couple of them have decent wind and more importantly shallow seas, some only up to hip height for a couple of hundred meters out which helps the instructor to be with you and to get up and your balance again when you fall.

Where to stay – most of the Posadas are all inclusive on the island. They will provide breakfast, lunch, dinner and pay for the boats out to the other Islands. There are a couple which do Bed and breakfast only and you can choose to add on lunch and dinner as extras. We stayed at one of the Bed and Breakfast places called Piano y Papaya which was very nice with very friendly staff. We ate empanadas for lunch and then went out to dinner at night. I think that this worked out a decent amount cheaper than staying at one of the all-inclusive places but then I didn’t try one so can’t be sure. One thing you need to know is that the other Posadas only serve dinner for their guests so you won’t be able to eat at those. There only seemed to be two or three proper restaurants on the island but they were good. Also the Empanada place turns into a chicken and beef burger place in the evening.

Prices (based on the black market exchange rate of £1 to BSF 25)

£60 per room for Bed and breakfast

£0.60 per empanada

£0.20 per ice-cream from the little shops

£80 2 x dive scuba

£8 for boat, chair and umbrella to the closest islands

£14 for three course set meal at restaurant#1

£10 for a meal from the a la carte menu

£1.50 for a burger

£1 for a beer from an expensive bar

£0.35 for a beer from the shop

Hope this helps.

Snowmass Village...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Los Roques mini-review

Thanks for the info, we are thinking of going, what is the snorkling like and what books would you recommend. Did you b and b have air conditioning and did you need it. Are the restaurants good if we choose the route of b and b only. Any other info you can think of please let me know.

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Los Roques mini-review

Hi,

Yes the B&B Piano y papaya had air con.

Snorkling was average near the beaches but I didn't go on a boat trip to do more. Did see loads of quite big star fish though.

Can't think of anything else to add other than to make sure you change your money on the black market so everything is a huge amount cheaper.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Los Roques mini-review

I,m thinking to go to Los Roques in April. Any suggestion how to get there from Caracas ? Thank You.

London, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Los Roques mini-review

The Posada booked our flights for us from Caracas. It was the same price as booking our flights directly with the airline. I think there are a few airlines that fly and have read that Aerotuy is regarded as the most competent.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Los Roques mini-review

Thank You !

Caracas, Venezuela
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Los Roques mini-review

Thanks for the review Andrew, and I´m happy you enjoy your stay… and my beautiful country.

Just a little tip for you and other travelers … the currency at the black market is not $1= 25BsF it’s actually $1 = 80BsF (1euro= 106BsF) so is way cheaper than you think and is getting higher by the day. So when you go there try to be aware of the updated price to get a great deal, bring some cash, change small amounts into the black market and avoid to pay with your international cards. it will be like traveling for free

Los Roques National...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Los Roques mini-review

Actually just 2 airlines: AEROTUY and CHAPY AIR. Even if Aerotuy has bigger ATR-42 airplanes I can't suggest them for the bad organization (especially for delays). Just my experience.

Enjoy your travel!

Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Los Roques mini-review

Flights from Isla Margarita.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Los Roques mini-review

To arrange flights &/or accommodations in Los Roques from Isla Margarita contact Magic Tours & Travel.

You can see their information here:

http://www.islamargarita.com/losroq.htm

and here for posadas

www.islamargarita.com/losroques-english.htm

They are very dependable

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Los Roques mini-review

Hi

How much was the flight from Caracas to Los roques? You mentioned your posada arranged the flight for you. Was the flight price included in the room or extra? Also, was there a weight limit on luggage? I read somewhere that the planes only allow 10kg.

Thanks in advance.

Get answers to your questions about Los Roques National...