We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety on the island

Which Porlamar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Trinidad
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety on the island

Is it safe to come to Margarita anytime soon? I am hearing of disruptions in the country

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Safety on the island

this makes 28

Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Safety on the island

you know what? do not come to the island, please...stay wherever you are, and take your friends with you, because island will survive and continue living and without you too...if you please, could you write us where are you from, probably USA, so that I can take out information out of your local papers, and I can bet there will be more criminal than here...and please, stop TALKING ABOUT MARGARITA if you are not here! just, shut up please! thank you

alkmaar
Level Contributor
50 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Safety on the island

@beachfan51261: Why pick a fight with me? Why not with the Margarita tourist authorities that have expressed their concern about tourist safety? Why not with the Sol de Margarita reporting 15 murders in the first two weeks of February, including the murder of a 76 year old cruiseship passenger? Or, even better, why not not with the people that are ultimately responsible for bringing the island down: the criminals?

This topic was started by a lady that was concerned about safety on the island and this being TRIPADVISOR she is entitled to an honest answer. If the Margarita tourist authorities themselves do not consider the island safe anymore, who are you and I to question the safety situation?

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Safety on the island

Don`t feed the troll.

Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Safety on the island

you are right....why bother? the point of forum is to know the real facts, not what says newspapers...according to CNN, and people like this guy who trust their every word like it is a bible, Margarita is in fire, there are riots all over the place, and I cannot go on the street, because someone will rape me, mug me and kill me...for the newest readers, I am being sarcastic...:) who wants to really get to know the island, come here, enjoy the sun and the beach, contact me I will be more than glad to show you the island and its beauties...I even let you drive my classic car, V8 engine...:)

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Safety on the island

Good god man. I have family and friends there right now too - both on Margarita and in Caracas. Yes there may be some (stress some) areas to avoid on the mainland, but I haven't heard of any great increase of danger on the island at all. Shopping, going to the beach, getting around all seem to be fine. It is unfortunate that the tourist was killed or anyone else that faces such a thing but, camilo4, you can not reasonably judge the situation from wherever you are...it is common sense. Listen to the posters here that live there - they know what is going on. As for gettiing ripped off by airport authorities, maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't heard of it; nor has it ever happened to me, my friends or my family.

B.C.
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Safety on the island

Things turned a bit nastier this afternoon when Guardia National troops teargassed and fired pellets at demonstrators on the road in front of Rattan Plaza. As reported by El Sol De Margarita those affected were given assistance by workers in nearby stores. I have not seen much in my 10 days here other than remnants of road blocks. My wife has been into Porlamar and out to the airport 3 or 4 times and has had to dodge roadblocks.

I am not concerned at this time but i am not a casual tourist. I was here for the Chavez failed coup in the 90s and the opposition failed coup early 2000s.

Stay tuned

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,128 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Safety on the island

We just arrived in Adicora, Falcon state, having driven from Margarita island (via ferry to Puerto la Cruz, of course) Having arrived at PLC at midnight, we immediatealy headed out on the road to Caracas and the Paraguana peninsula in Falcon state. Most would say that to do this drive at night is foolhardy, especially in these times of political unrest.

We had given this decision much thought before setting out and decided to ¨caravan¨ with other vehicles of friends.

All went exceedingly well, with little traffic, even traversing Caracas at 4 a.m. (wednesday was planned concentrations in Caracas in honor of ¨el comandante eterno¨ but we found the freeways to be deserted.

Further on, at dawn, between Valencia and Puerto Cabello, we encountered a ¨tranca¨ or a demonstration blocking the highway near the town of San Diego. We waited for about an hour for them to lift the blockade, which, after an hour did not happen so we made our way to Puerto Cabello by backtracking to Valencia and taking an alternate route.

Took us a total of 11 hours from Puerto la Cruz to Adicora, not bad time, even in times of normality.

But, I stress, don´t try this alone, ever, at night.

So, to thosed uninformed doomsday preachers here on this forum, if you do not live here, please do your homework before preaching doom and gloom about our country, please.

19. Re: Safety on the island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:27 am, March 08, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Porlamar