We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Canada to Margarita

Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Topic
From Canada to Margarita

Now that there are no direct flights from Canada, how are Canadians getting here? A friend of mine inquired and although she could get a flight from Montreal to Trinidad for about $500, they want almost $900 from POS to the island!!!! That's crazy to me for such a short flight. This seems like extortion since they must know that Canadians are now limited in how they can get here. It's a shame because that was a relatively inexpensive if somewhat inconvenient way to fly. Anybody else have any thoughts, or is it now Caracas or nothing?

B.C.
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
51. Re: From Canada to Margarita

With Expedia offering Copa MIA/CCS flights at $402 CND (Sept.) arriving at 3 p.m.

Copa $1200 US from Toronto arriving at midnight are not my choice.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
52. Re: From Canada to Margarita

I guess it would be safer arriving at 3 00 pm..i will check august prices..tnks

Los Angeles...
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
53. Re: From Canada to Margarita

If you go through Caracas contact Turpial Travel (www.turpialtravel.com) for local flights or any arrangements needed in Venezuela. They arrange my travels in Venezuela and my experience traveling with them has been great. The round trip ticket from Caracas to Margarita should be around $100.

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
54. Re: From Canada to Margarita

I just realized there is no canadian consolate.at this time.... ii better not go

Waterloo, Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
55. Re: From Canada to Margarita

I just realized there is no canadian consolate.at this time.... ii better not go

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,058 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
56. Re: From Canada to Margarita

There is a Canadian Embassy in Caracas.

The consul here in Margarita was always an honorary post & not well manned.

It was even offered to me one year but I turned it down.

I don't have much sympathy for drug couriers which at the time was a big part of the job visiting them in the San Antonio prison. :-)

In other words the presence or lack there of of a consul shouldn't influence a visit to Margarita.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
57. Re: From Canada to Margarita

I flew to Trinidad on Easter Sunday from Philadelphia and Conviasa wanted more than $800 for a round-trip to Margarita. I decided to get a one-way to Margarita with a reservation for my return for about $425 or so. The problem was the agent in Margarita two days later refused to honor my reservation for my return trip because the agent in Trinidad did not write the ticket number for my return to Philadelphia on the reservation. My Venezuelan girlfriend called Conviasa in Caracas and was able to secure my reservation as they did have a record of it still in their system and then I only paid the return trip to trinidad in bolivars which was of course very cheap. I was very fortunate because there were no seats on return trips to Trinidad in the time period I needed. Nonetheless, the experience was quite harrowing and I would not recommend it except for travelers who can afford to travel with such uncertainty and without deadlines like returning to work, etc. etc.

Ottawa, Canada
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
58. Re: From Canada to Margarita

We are regular travellers to Margarita Island from Canada, our last trip was in May 2014 so I thought i would provide an update. The best route we have found (since the cancellation of the Air Canada flights to Caracas and the difficulty in getting the Conviasa flights from Port of Spain to Porlamar) is to fly to Miami, spend the night at the airport hotel, and fly Santa Barbara airlines from Miami to Caracas (departs around 1030 hrs and arrives 1400 hrs). We then take a local Laser Airlines flight from Caracas to Porlamar (departs several times in the day but we use the 1630 hrs flight, which arrives at 1700 hrs). The best prices for the Miami - Caracas route are currently via www.webjet.com. ($656.00). For the Laser flight (or other local airlines which also fly several times a day to the island) contact Ciro Abanto at Magic Tours at ciro.abanto@magictours.com.ve. Ciro is very reliable and will be able to book your flights to the island at a very reasonable price. For those who are concerned about the situation in Venezuela - do not worry. The island is not the same as the mainland and is not affected to any large degree by what happens there. In the height of the protests in Caracas in Feb-Mar, there were only minor protests and roadblocks in Porlamar, Playa el Agua was unaffected. Playa el Agua remains a beautiful place; however, in the past 6 months some of the restaurants have been destroyed along the beach. Our favourite places remain; however, every time we visit the landscape changes slightly. Playa el Agua is our little piece of heaven and we will continue to travel there several times a year. The weather is always perfect, the ocean is incredible, the beach is expansive, and the beer is cheap! Happy to answer any other questions. LL

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
59. Re: From Canada to Margarita

I'm experiencing the same problems. Cannot find a way to get there from TO. Now looking at Miami connections. Pls let me know if you find anything.

B.C.
Level Contributor
102 posts
Save Reply
60. Re: From Canada to Margarita

Arrived last night Avior - Miami/Barcelona/ Porlamar. Flights were fine. The airport in Barcelona is a disaster.

Add construction (according to the posters when/if finished will be the best airport in Venezuela) to the normal incompetence and you have a real mess. Avior flights arrived from Miami and Panama at the same time. Only 2 immigration officials on duty. All luggage on same carousel. No customs declaration forms available.

All luggage X-rayed and some pulled aside. When they saw car parts in my bag they wanted receipts. Explaining they were for my vehicle not for sale didn't wash. I gave them a value estimate of $100 for about $500 worth. And they hit me with a $5 import/nuisance tax. More line ups to recheck bags with lots of shouting from angry tired travelers. Another line up for security. Up 2 flights of stairs to the makeshift departure room . No water in the washroom. No TV screens to show flight status and departure gate. A muffled loudspeaker calling out information. My gate was to be #3 but when I saw people moving to gate #4 I asked and was told it had changed. Quick hop on a Fokker 50 and arrived with all bags safe and sound. Wife picked me up in the Silverado, needing parts but full of cold cerveza and all was well.

Edited: 1:06 pm, September 11, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island