We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medical care/facilities

Seoul
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Medical care/facilities

My husband is being transferred to Margarita Island by his company. We will be there for 18 months starting Jan 2014 at which stage I will be 7 months pregnant. It will be our first time in Venezuela.

We are a little concerned about the quality of medical care and facilities on the island, especially since this is our first pregnancy. I don't speak any Spanish, but husband does.

I would appreciate it to hear any reviews/information/stories of the medical care on the island. Will most doctors be able to speak English? Are the private hospitals very expensive? Anybody have any experiences with pediatricians on Margarita?

Thanks in advance

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,239 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medical care/facilities

There are some good private medical clinics on the island.

El Valle & La Fe just to name two.

Costs are very reasonable IF your husband is being paid in hard currency & can convert at black market rates.

Many private doctors speak some English - just find one who does once you are here.

If you have any other questions just post them here.

Welcome to Margarita.

Seoul
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Medical care/facilities

Thank you!

Margarita Island...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medical care/facilities

Hello Kabbeling!

Thanks for posting your question - it is very important to know these things when traveling abroad.

Playa El Agua is correct, there are some good private clinics here in Margarita. I am personal friends with one of the top OB/GYN doctors here on the Island. If you would like to send me a PM, I can get you the info you need to make contact and give you more information.

Regards,

Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Medical care/facilities

I had a baby here last year and based on my experience I would recommend a private clinic no matter the cost. As pointed out, at the black market rate, it is not really that expensive especially compared to other countries.

Seoul
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Medical care/facilities

Thanks Suzanne, I sent you a pm.

Ibar22, did you u have your baby at a public/government run clinic then? We will definitely go to one of the private clinics. If you u had your baby at one of these, were you u happy with their care?

This might seem like a silly question: I've seen online that Margarita is quite a big domestic shopping destination and that there are a few malls. But I thought it might be targeted mostly towards tourists. Will I be able to find everything needed for a new baby on the island, e.g. car seats, strollers, cribs etc?

Porlamar, Venezuela
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Medical care/facilities

I did all my prenatal care at a private clinic but I had the baby at a public hospital and it was horrible. Yes, you will be able to find all the major things like car seats, strollers etc. You may not have the variety of brands that you will find elsewhere and you will likely pay more but yes you will get all those things. Clothes as well. There are way fewer options when it comes to other things though...for example I had a a hard time finding just a changing pad (as opposed to the whole changing table), good mobiles, pumps, and all the little odds and ends that you take for granted at home etc etc...you either will not find any at all or a choice of only one or two options.

streeter
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Medical care/facilities

Margarita Island is soo beautiful island in Venezuela

There are several public and private medical clinics on Margarita like

1. Farmacias SAAS, Centro Comercial Galerías, Av 4 de Mayo, ☎ +58 295 263 8080.

2. Hospital Central Dr Luis Ortega, Av 4 de Mayo, ☎ +58 295 261 1101, +58 295 261 6508. 24 hr.

Dental work is normally quite reasonably priced on Margarita Island, many dentists have modern facilities.

So according to my point of view medical care is available everywhere,so go and enjoy Margarita Island.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,239 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medical care/facilities

The information in the previous post is a little misleading.

Farmacia SAAS is a pharmacy, not a clinic.

The Luis Ortega Hospital is the main PUBLIC hospital & is a disaster.

You would get better & cleaner care at a McDonald's.

Stick to private clinics & hospitals.

Once here you will quickly learn which are best.

Seoul
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Medical care/facilities

Seoul
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Medical care/facilities

Thank you lbar22. I guess I'll have to sacrifice variety for living on a desert island. Shouldn't be too hard.

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island