We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Margarita Saftey

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Margarita Saftey

Hello to you all,

My wife and I have 2 little boys and we have extended family in Caracas, we do not feelsafe to go to Caracas and so it ha sbeen suggested we go to Margarita. We have been before around 10yrs ago but now we have two young boys it puts a very different perspective on everything..

Is Margarita a safe haven or are we likely to be looking over our shoulders and being anxiuos about strangers constantly..

Your relpies would be really very welcomed..

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Margarita Saftey

Margarita is perfectly safe.

We have many foreigners staying at our B&B and everyone feels very safe no matter where they visited on the Island.

Don't worry.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Margarita Saftey

My wife and I take our two kids (7 & 9) to Margarita every summer: also to avoid Caracas. We have never felt really unsafe while on the island. All the beaches and shops are full of friendly people.

Hampton, New...
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Margarita Saftey

Been there twice witout any issues at all. Love the Island and both Resorts I stayed at!

Juan Griego...
Level Contributor
82 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Margarita Saftey

Hi Daniel. If I were you I would take the kids to one of the all-inclusive places on the island, like Dunes. Margarita is safe enough compared to the rest of Venezuela, and very cheap at the moment (read the section on banks and money in Venezuela on trip Advisor). If you need any help booking somewhere, let me know.

Hamilton, Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Margarita Saftey

In answer to your safety, I have just returned and feel Playa el Agua and Margarita as a whole not very safe if compared to any destination I have been to. I was robbed right outside my condo,20 feet from the front door in broad daylight. I was of course very stupid and was wearing a gold chain and a gold bracelet.But none the less it was 8.30A.M with a lot of people around but many bad poor people are around so the question of safety is a real issue.There is very little to do on Playa El Aguaand a lot of business' have closed, I understand 5 years ago it was a booming popular area but not now, I can assure you.

Level Contributor
1,226 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Margarita Saftey

i agree with you about Playa el Agua, I think that it's better to stay in Costa Azul or Guacuco and Playa el yaque. There a lot of beautiful place, but avoid Playa el Agua now it's not like before and during the night it's dangerous

7. Re: Margarita Saftey

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 07, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island