We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bring Gifts

Oct
Newfoundland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Bring Gifts

Do you need to bring gifts to the staff to show your thanks? We did when we went to Cuba. Can you get your hair braided there? If so how much does it cost? Anyone going to Costa Caribe on April 14/05 . We have no reservations made yet we are hoping for a good deal to come along.

Marathon. Ontario...
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bring Gifts

Hi October,

A friend and i are going in April too and have been trying to figure out the best place. I have been reseaching it for Months now and i am getting frustrated with all the neg. comments. Like you i have had a few places picked but nothing definite yet. Are you planning to wait for a better deal closer to the time? I have been to Costa Rica, Cuba and the Dominican and have enjoyed them all. Was hoping for something different and so thought this might be the place to go. If you happen to cross by a good deal could you keep me posted. I find the waiting is not helping but my friend doesn't have a lot of money and it is her first time out of the country so i want it to be good for her. My husband and i have travel a fair amount but this being her first time i would like to pick the best spot for the best price. Thanks and keep smiling Trudy

toronto
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bring Gifts

gifts are totally unnecessary, they like money. yes there is hair braiding on the beach. bring sunscreen

Ontario
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bring Gifts

We didn't bring gifts like we usually do to Cuba or the D.R., they appreciate any tips in cash, bring plenty of US $1.00 bills for tipping the wait staff, bartenders, etc. We usually left a few dollars for the maid each day.

We just got back from Margarita Island last Wednesday and we stayed 2 weeks at the Hesperia Isla Magarita. We loved it! My review should be posted soon, it usually takes a couple of days but check it out. We plan to go back to Margarita in the future and will definitely book at the Hesperia Isla Margarita again. We got a very good deal for two weeks so keep checking. Margarita is definitly more reasonable than many of the Caribbean Islands, including Cuba and the D.R. Scenery is much more beautiful too we found.

Margarita Island
Destination Expert
for Margarita Island
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bring Gifts

If anyone really wants to bring gifts then what is reall appreciated here would be school supplies - writng notebooks with popular designs on the covers, good pencils, erasers, pencil sharpeners, etc., etc.

Almost all the ladies in the cleaning staff have kids and are very low paid. You can also visit a local school and give them the things and they can pass them out to the neediest children.

Money also works for the hotel staff:-)

Oct
Newfoundland
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Bring Gifts

Hello Trudy, don't pay any attention to the neg. comments, some people are hard to please. We were told to wait until Easter break was over for the best deals. We usually book about 2 weeks before we go. We have our flight booked to go from St.John's to Toronto & return on our points. We are looking at going to LTI Costa Caribe. So far the best price is $905 + tax per person for a 31/2 * some say 4*.We have been to Cuba twice and last year went to Jamaica. We got a great deal to Jamaica considering we had to fly to Halifax to fly out ,we booked that one over the internet. How much does it cost to get hair braided?

venezuela
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Bring Gifts

gifts????????????? Nooooooooooooooooooo

Margarita is not Cuba....................Like Any Other Place TIPS .....But Not ONE DOLLAR.............................

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Bring Gifts

What do you mean not $1.00?

canvey island essex...
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Bring Gifts

Hi we are going to costa caribe 12/05 we are taking us $1 bills for tipping we dont know very much about the place only what we have read on this site . we would like to know if the mainland trips are worth doing.

venezuela
Level Contributor
175 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Bring Gifts

1 dollar is not a good tip

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bring Gifts

Considering we were told folks make about $7.00 a day you would think tipping someone $1.00 for bringing you a drink was pretty good....when you have to tip everyone for everything the money adds up pretty quickly.

Get answers to your questions about Margarita Island