We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Merida Info

7 posts
Save Topic
Merida Info

Planning a trip with two friends, we are torn between doing Caracas-

Margarita -Trinidad, or Caracas -Merida - Trinidad , one member of the party is in favor of Margarita since she has the impression that Merida does not have many if any Afro- American visitors,one spouse is Afro American, the other is African. If not so, I would love for some -one to correct this mis conception . Also are there Malaria and Dengue fever there, can anyone say if visitors are advised to use medication where relevant when going to these destinations . Thanks for any light shed on these topics.

Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Merida Info

The only reason for doing Caracas-Margarita-Trinidad is because Margarita is closer to Trinidad. A lot closer. On the other hand, it would be nice to see the Andes. And since you are from the Caribbean, you get to see the beach every minute. Regarding your friend's worries about not many afro american visitors in Merida, i can assure you there is no problem with that in any part of Venezuela. About Dengue and Malaria, it's very rare. It depends on witch type of mosquito bites you :). Just take the usual precutions about mosquitoes. I woudn't worry about it.

charleston, sc
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Merida Info

I think you all are going to have a lot of fun! I lived in merida for 2 years and loved it. I am not sure about 'afro-american' visitors. Its a lot like the US - there are all types of heritages there, of course mostly latino. You have nothing to worry about. Merida is great for sight seeing there are so many things to do. Most of it is outdoors and activities like walking, hiking, etc. But some of the tours are amazing. El Teleferico is great - its the world's largest cable car ride. It takes you up to the top of a 14,000 ft mountain. There are 4 stops and each stop up the mountain is completely different with vegetation, etc.

I personally didn't enjoy Caracas very much. Its a very large, congested city and in my opinion there wasn't too much to do. you also need to be more careful in Caracas there have been a lot of protests lately and in general its more dangerous - just like any large city that you're not used to.

Margarita island is supposed to be great. I know it has very dry vegetation so its not a tropical 'lush' island. Aruba is absolutely beautiful and sometimes cheaper than venezuela. Its only a 45 minute flight.

Hope this helps!!

Have fun!

7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Merida Info

Hello : Daniviv & Ashmerpar , please forgive my late response grateful for the information , it has been of help, once again thank you

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
4. Re: Merida Info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, September 05, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Merida
More Merida Topics