We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time of year to go to Easter Island

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Best time of year to go to Easter Island

This is serious pre-planning here. We'd love to go to Easter Island but we have no set time frame just yet. We're self employed and can come and go as we please, but we were wondering what would be the best time of the year to go to Easter island for the weather. Personally I don't want to go and freeze or sweat my butt off; I was hoping that people here at this forum could tell me what's the best time of year to visit with the most comfortable temperature.

Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time of year to go to Easter Island

According to your description, you might pick dates between late September and early December or, alternatively, between late March and early May.

Just remember that November is usually referred as a "sweet spot" by various travel agencies, so you should book your flights and hotel in advance if you choose November.

However, even summer is hot (due to humidity), this year has been slightly cooler than in general and, thus, it's quite pleasant even now when I'm writing this.

Winter is not really that cold (only nights will become chilly) but some wind protection is required.

However, last year it was quite cold early August when 2 years ago it was late June.

California City...
Level Contributor
140 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time of year to go to Easter Island

Jarkko,

Could you please describe the rainy seasons on Easter Island? To avoid rains, what are the best months?

Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
440 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time of year to go to Easter Island

There is no actual rainy season on Easter Island.

If you go for the statistics, Wikipedia has the best answer to you (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Easter_Island#Climate).

According to precipitation statistics, the dry months are December-February and it rains the most on May. However, this is statistics only.

This year May was real nice and pleasant but June has been a bit cold. According to my personal experiences (I live on the island), May is generally always nice and there's no reason to avoid that time of the year.

Since it rains all around the year, there's not much difference between months. We'll get rain any given day even in the middle of summer even there's difference between years (2010-2011 summer was real dry and 2014 we had rain on regular basis).

Additionally, it's good to know that we'll get plenty of rain during night (between midnight and sunrise) but you really cannot book your stay according to statistics.

Thus, it's best to travel prepared and pick the dates that best fit your daily life

4. Re: Best time of year to go to Easter Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, July 01, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Easter Island