We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tapati Festival

Sweden
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Tapati Festival

I'm thinking about going to Easter Island during the Tapati Festival 2014. The dates seem to be from the 1st of February until the 15th. I now wonder if someone knows if there are events every day and in that case what kind of events? Are there more festival activities happening during the weekend than in the week? What are the highlights? Thanks in advance!

Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tapati Festival

There will be events every day but it depends your preference if you're interested in sports related competitions or cultural events, dancing and singing.

Opening and closing days will be interesting but during Tapati there will be plenty of highlights such as banana tree sliding etc.

Generally, waiting until the actual festival program with dates will be confirmed might not be a good idea since booking flights (and hotel) will get complicated afterwards. Tapati festival is the very peak of the high season, after all.

Santiago...
Level Contributor
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Tapati Festival

Hello!

I recommend the first 6 days with the most important competitions!

day 1

• Agricultural Fair - 11:00 Hrs.

- Competition weighing agricultural products / He haito i like kai ha'apu

- Making flower necklace Uka / He 'tui Korone a'ati tiare or you Uka

- Preparation of flowers crown 'Aito / He' tiare or a'ati hei te 'Aito

• Hanga Rio Rio - 15:00 Hrs.

- Power sliding on the waves / I haka honu

- Referral slip on reed float / He haka Ngaru

• Atamu Tekena - 21:45 Hrs.

- Competition for choirs / Koro haka opo

day 2

• Cultural Center Tongariki - from 08:00 Hrs.

- Gastronomic Competition / He '​​kai a'ati tunu

Hanga Roa or Tai - 17:00 Hrs.

- Regatta adult and juvenile male and female / He 'vaka a'ati you or you pa'ari eo

thong

• Tahai - 21:45 Hrs.

- Competition Ute / He ute

- Adult Takona / He 'a'ati takona or you nu'u pa'ari

day 3

• Vaitea - 12:30 Hrs.

- Race to hang banana / He akavenga

• Maunga Pu'i - 13:30 Hrs.

- Curanto community / He 'umu mahingo you mo

• Maunga Pu'i - 15:00 Hrs.

- Competition shooting with javelin / He tautanga

• Maunga Pu'i - 18:00 Hrs.

- Slipping on banana trunks / He haka pei

day 4

• Municipality - 11:00 Hrs.

- Meeting Computation

• Hanga Vare Vare-- 21:45 Hrs.

- Competition interpretation accordion / He 'upa upa a'ati rhyme

- Second stage sets children - youth / He mahana o rua te 'or ori a'ati

ngapoki you 'or you and thong

day 5

• Hanga Roa or Tai - 16:00 Hrs.

- Adult Duathlon - Juvenile

- Duathlon pairs

• Hanga Vare Vare-- 21:45 Hrs.

- Artistic Presentation group MATAKITE

day 6

Hanga Roa or Tai - 10:00 Hrs.

- Scuba diving

california
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tapati Festival

This sounds like pure tourism. Is it all introduced in the last few years or is there any real connection to the civilizations that created Eager Island.

Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tapati Festival

Locals used to celebrate amongst themselves and, then, slowly the celebration expanded and evolved as a festival.

In the end of 1960's it was called Semana de Rapa Nui (Rapa Nui week) and it evolved as a Tapati festival during 1970's.

You know, people in general, like sports, dancing and singing without any relation with tourism, as well... Tapati Rapa Nui is the most exotic and entertaining festivals I've ever seen but it's hard to get in since flights are typically fully booked.

On the other hand, birdman competition was religious and political event. To imitate something like that would be artificial.

Additionally, the location where the event was held is now protected as any archaeological site on the island and falling from the cliffs would result to death or serious injury...

california
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tapati Festival

My goal is to understand the indigenous culture, the structures, and the best understanding that we have of why and how they were constructed. How can I do that? Does someone offer that as a guided tour or lecture? Is there an individual I can hire for a private tour? Is Tapiti part of that?

Thank you

Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tapati Festival

Naturally, any way to express yourself is part of the culture: dancing, singing, music itself, as well as costumes and body painting, are part of any culture.

Tapati festival you can see only on February. However, you can see Polynesian dancing shows all around the year (excluding Tapati when they'll perform for free on festival stage). Kari Kari, Vai Te Mihi and Te Ra'ai are the famous ones, even there's a few others, as well.

Apart from that, culture and history you can best learn from a local, native tour guide. Tours are available all around the year, as well.

There are a few reliable tour companies but some use foreign and continental guides so the experience is different: an outsider might learn things from books but natives know more than just the scientific facts since they have learned the oral history in school, from their parents, grandparents and the old relatives.

Additionally, locals have a special interest in archeology and, thus, they'll hear about the work in progress directly from the archaeologists doing excavations.

When in doubt, Kia Koe Tour has native guides and they have both group tours and private tours.

california
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tapati Festival

kia koe offers a one day tour. Is that he extent of the experience I should seek on the island?

Easter Island, Chile
Destination Expert
for Easter Island
Level Contributor
438 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Tapati Festival

You can have Full Day Tour and 2 Half Day Tours (both the same day) so you can see the highlights in 2 days.

You might do sightseeing in Hanga Roa the day you'll arrive and if you have an extra day or two, just do hiking (routes are very easy so you do not need to pay a guide to do that), horseback riding or diving etc.

california
Level Contributor
406 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tapati Festival

Thanks

10. Re: Tapati Festival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, May 18, 2015