We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extending Easter Island Trip

East Otis...
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Extending Easter Island Trip

Hello,

Planning a trip to Easter Island in October for 7 nights - would like to add an additional 3-4 nights in mainland Chile on the way home through Santiago. Are there any areas you would recommend that are fairly convenient/reasonable to get to transportation wise (quick flight is fine) - that would be worthwhile to do in such a short period. Was looking at Patagonia and Atacama - not sure if this would make sense or only if we had more time. We are not "city people", so would probably do not want to spend entire time in Santiago. Any advice/experience would be appreciated!

Thanks!!

Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extending Easter Island Trip

Valparaiso and Vina del Mar are only a couple of hours away from SCL by rental car, and depending on your interests might offer you plenty to keep you busy for 2-4 days. We did exactly that on a previous trip. This time I'm thinking of spending a few days in the Mendoza area to visit the vineyards.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Extending Easter Island Trip

You could spend 4 days in Atacama Desert.

Regards

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
122 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extending Easter Island Trip

I would recommend checking out Patagonia (northern or southern). Easter Island's landscape is very dry and barren, so going to the Atacama Desert might be too much barrenness for one trip. My husband and I really liked Torres del Paine, but you may also want to check out the Lake District in northern Patagonia.

4. Re: Extending Easter Island Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 19, 2014