We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Easter Island worth the trip?

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Is Easter Island worth the trip?

I am thinking about taking a vacation to Chile next March/April and am intrigued by the possibility of going to Easter Island. However, I would have to stay for at least three nights due to the flight schedules and it would cost almost $1000, so I want to make sure that there is enough to see and do to justify the trip and expense. Can someone please let me know what there is to do/see on Easter Island (other than looking at the cool stone statues)? Is there enough to do to fill three or four days? Any recommendations on places to stay? Any info on Easter Isalnd is greatly appreciated!

Santiago, Chile
2 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Easter Island worth the trip?

A three nights stay is too short, if you like trekking, diving, riding bikes and horses, a 5 or 6 nights stay would be much better, but please, RapaNui is not Cancun, Punta Cana etc

Memo

Basingstoke, UK
Level Contributor
10 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Easter Island worth the trip?

In response to your email, I too was wondering whether to go to Easter Island given the cost. However, going onto the LANChile website I have found a return flight for 220 pounds sterling (400 US dollars), which was half of what any other online travel agency were offering. Maybe see you there in March (16-19).

Kevin

Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
15 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Easter Island worth the trip?

I too noticed that the prices seem to have come down considerably. For US$400, it definitely seems worth the price, even if only for a 3-4 day stay. I am fairly sure that I will make the trip to Easter Island, as I have no idea when I will be in Chile again. If you go, I hope you have a great stay!

4. Re: Is Easter Island worth the trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 pm, July 28, 2005
usa
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Easter Island worth the trip?

If you can go this month You and I can go have on the hotel. Besides the airfare should be cheaper this month.

Santiago, Chile
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Easter Island worth the trip?

Hello:

Please see airfare at www.lanchile.cl (Aprox. U.S.$ 500 in March/April.)

Visit www.hotlemanavai.cl and www.iorana.net

Have a good trip.

LONDON UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Easter Island worth the trip?

We are considering an Antartica & Chilean Fjords cruise to cover Christman an New Year

Have any readers taken such a holiday, We do realise it will be cold although it is summer.

Cruise Line -----Orient Boat------Marco Polo

We would fly and start in Santiago ending In Buernos Aires.

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated.

Peter London UK

USA
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Easter Island worth the trip?

For Astride who responded to this post in December,

Bonjour Astride,

Puisque vous vivez en France, peut-etre que le francais est plus facile pour vous. Quel est le nom de la famille qu'on peut contacter a Rapa Nui ? Et puis, comment peut-on les contacter? J'ai essaye de vous ecrire a votre addresse a "hotmail" mais le message m'a ete retourne comme "inconnu".

ENGLISH TRANSLATION

Since you live in France, perhaps French is easier for you. What is the name of the family that we can contact in Rapa Nui? And how can we contact them? I tried to write to your "hotmail" address, but the message came back as "unknown".

9. Re: Is Easter Island worth the trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:24 am, August 05, 2005
New York NY
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Easter Island worth the trip?

This post is actually for Lanford but I could not post a reply there.

We took the Marco Polo to Antarctica in February. The ship provides red parkas which you get to keep, for passengers to wear on land. The temperature was in the forties except when the wind was blowing. You need knee high rubber boots and waterproof pants that fit over the boots as there are no docks. You go ashore by Zodiacs and step off into several inches of water. The only place there is a semblence of a dock is at the Chilean station. But beware of the wind at Ushaia. It calls itself the city at the end of the world and sometimes it seems like all the wind of the Americas sweeps down there. Would I do it again? In a minute.