We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What food to bring?

rangiora
Level Contributor
183 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
What food to bring?

What food is cheap and what is really expensive on Easter Island? I'm packing now and want to bring some supplies to feed two hungry young men, but don't want to take stuff I can buy there at a reasonable price. We will be mainly self-catering.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What food to bring?

Whether to bring food depends on how long you are staying and where you are coming from. Fresh fruit and fish are local but just about everything else is brought in. If you are staying 3 days it is hardly worth bringing food. For longer stays, and if buying food in Santiago, you could bring some tins. But a tin of tuna hardly seems worth it when you can get a fresh tuna empanada for the same price.

rangiora
Level Contributor
183 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What food to bring?

I read one report that said the variety of food was limited and as I have a teen with me I wanted to make sure I could get something he would eat.

We would just need basic food- fruit and veges, bread and spreads, barbecue food.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
10,205 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What food to bring?

If there is something in particular he likes, then bring it. I am not sure what fresh produce will be allowed into Easter Island if you are coming from Tahiti rather than Santiago. I would stick to jars and tins. You can find plenty of pineapples, mangoes and avocados in the market, fresh fish, chicken and beef. There are a couple of pizza places, empanadas.

rangiora
Level Contributor
183 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What food to bring?

Thanks- that's helpful.

5. Re: What food to bring?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, December 10, 2013