We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long to stay in Easter Island?

Playa del Carmen
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
How long to stay in Easter Island?

I am wondering how long is it worth to stay in easter island. I am planning of flying from santiago and i want to see the statues but I am almost positive that there is nothing else to do there (as far as I know). So i am wondering if it is worth to spend a night, should I book a hotel or should i try to fly early, do the island and then try fly back in the same evening?

Are there any hotels at all, I'm sure there are but I'm just wondering if staying a night will be just a waste of a day.

Any recommendations welcome :)

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
11,704 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: How long to stay in Easter Island?

There is no point in going to Easter Island for a day, nor is it possible. It is a 5.5 hr flight from mainland Chile. I suggest you do some research on what there is to do, there are many good trip reports on here if you use the search option, If it does not seem interesting to you then I would not incur the expense of the flight or spend the time visiting it.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
16,308 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: How long to stay in Easter Island?

I totally agree with dancingmolly. I think you need to do more research about the island and flights. I am planning on four nights on Easter Island next month, which in reality only gives me three full days. First full day probably a guided tour of the statues, a second day exploring on my own, a third day a nice hike along the shore. Honestly, I think I will barely be scratching the surface in that time.

geneseo, new york
Level Contributor
13 posts
1 review
3. Re: How long to stay in Easter Island?

I just returned from a 6 night stay. I really wish I had had 2 more

nights just to do nothing. I spent 3 days with guided tours, 1 day

with car rental and 1 day arriving and getting my bearings, I really

wanted 2 more days just to walk and lie on beach, eat and do

nothing.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
59 posts
4. Re: How long to stay in Easter Island?

Hello!

Even with an early flight to Easter Island you will not be able to fully experience the island in the afternoon. I would suggest at the minimum flying in and taking the day to explore on your own, followed by a day with a guided tour of the statues, and if you absolutely have no extra time flying out early the next day. However you can also spend another day and take a tour of the Rano Raruku volcano or visit the beach of Anakena. As the others stated I think if you only stay a day you won’t truly experience the island. Exploring the statues could fill a few days at the least, so I would definitely consider staying for a longer period of time, if you are able.

Have a great trip to Chile! Safe Travels!

Katherine

Peru For Less

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
741 posts
56 reviews
5. Re: How long to stay in Easter Island?

I was there many years ago for a 4 night stay. It was ALMOST long enough. I'm going back next year and this time staying a week.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
2,426 posts
2,835 reviews
6. Re: How long to stay in Easter Island?

I was there in December for four nights (three full days). IMO, that is the absolute minimum time for exploring the island. Yes, there are plenty of hotels and B&Bs on the island. Check out the reviews on TA.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
51 posts
19 reviews
7. Re: How long to stay in Easter Island?

I spent 8 days on Easter Island last month, using the flight to and from Lima.

I would think 4 or 5 days would be ideal, if you want to see everything there is to see (or 95% of it). A one-day tour on the first day would be good, if possible. I would then rent a jeep for the other days. One day could be spent doing the loop on the East side of the island, possibly re-visiting everything you saw the day before on the tour. Not every Ahu is worth stopping at, but there are a lot of opportunities for photos. Another day could be spent going to Orongo on the crater and then maybe doing the loop to the North of town (Ahu Akavi, caves). Another day could be spent visiting locations you didn't see earlier, with some time at Anakena beach. And maybe some time can be spent just visiting the sites near town or just shopping.

As for night, I did go to 3 of the shows. The Kari Kari show is a good choice. The Re Raia dinner and show is also nice. You view the food being brought out of the pit, have a little entertainment, then have a fantastic buffet meal, and end it with a show. What is odd is how some of the songs are Polynesian and then they almost go into a Country/Mexican style.

I do wish I had tried the scuba diving. I also did not try the boat ride or horseback riding.

8. Re: How long to stay in Easter Island?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:40 am, June 20, 2013