We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Island in May

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Easter Island in May

Hello! I just booked a flight to Easter Island for a few days in early May. Now I'm freaking out a little since I just learned it's rainy season? How bad is the rain and cold at this time of the year? Will I still be able to do hiking?

Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Island in May

Hi Cintagreen,

Easter island is sub tropical so the rain and cold aren't bad at all. I wouldn't worry about it being too cold or rainy for hiking.

May is the rainiest month, statistically, with an average of 137mm of rainfall. The driest is September with an average of 73 mm, so you get rain all year round.

Temperatures in May probably vary from 14oC to 22oC, so it may feel a little chilly at nights, but you should be able to fit in most things during your stay.

Enjoy!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
114 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Island in May

Hi Cintagreen,

I should have added, take a jumper and waterproof jacket, as the rain and cold are not too bad IF you have the right clothing.

Some rain is experienced 140 days a year. The porous volcanic rock dries out quickly after rain.

The wind can make it feel chilly, but it's fine if you have the right clothing.

So as long as you are prepared, you should be fine to hike.

All the best

San Francisco
Destination Expert
for San Francisco
Level Contributor
3,823 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Easter Island in May

Thank you for the info!! Rather than risk adverse weather, I decided to change my ticket to Buenos Aires instead. Hopefully I'll make it to EI someday!

Thanks again...

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Easter Island in May

Thanks for the info... I've decided to head that way in late March... Rain or Shine!!!... A rainy day on Easter Island is better than a good day at work!

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,266 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Easter Island in May

It will be a lot cooler in BA than on Easter Island in May.

Crescent Beach...
Level Contributor
9 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Easter Island in May

I will be there in May. Since May is the rainiest month, does anyone know a nice hotel that significantly reduces their rates in May?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
77 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Easter Island in May

We just left Easter Island after spending 4 days/ 3 nights in early May. The weather was lovely. The mornings were beautiful and sunny with a high around 70F then it started to cloud up with light rain around 3pm every afternoon. It reminded me of summer Florida weather. It would rain for 10-15 minutes then stop for 30-45 minutes then rain again and so on until about 5pm. We never had rain at night but it was crisp with temperatures in the high 50s/low 60s.

I stayed at Hotel Taha Tai and it was booked solid. Our flights were also completely full so if May is an off-season, we certainly didn't notice it.

Have fun!

8. Re: Easter Island in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:42 am, June 22, 2013