We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help with arranging a hotel in Easter Islands

Toronto
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need help with arranging a hotel in Easter Islands

Hi,

I plan to travel to the ester islands next June with my family.I have read the reviews of the hotels on this website and have shortlisted 2 hotels.

It does seem that that the service at the se islands is a bit inconsistent.There are reports of over charging,not accepting credit cards,charging for services not rendered and hotelowner forgeting to book a room after acceping a deposit.Thsi is a bit scary.

If anyone has travelled in 2011 please advice where to stay.

My other major issue is that I am not able to communicate with the hotels.They have not replied to my emails.I have tried dozens of times to call these hotels on different numbers at different times but just cannot get through.If the listed hotel numberon the hotel website is 56-32-255xxxx why can I not get through.I make international calls all over the world including to South america so my long ditance provider is OK.

AM I MISSING A NUMBER?

Please advice:

- How did you book a hotel Direct/booking site/agent?

- if you had a good expeirence can you recommend a hotel?

I am thinking of Hotel Tiare Pacific or Chez Jerome?

Thanks

Yogi

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Tiare Pacific
Hotel Tiare Pacific
153 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
Chez Jerome
Chez Jerome
186 Reviews
Easter Island, Chile
The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,395 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help with arranging a hotel in Easter Islands

I will be going soon. I booked a specialty lodging accommodation run by an American that gets good reviews. I feel safe about 80-90%, OSIT.

I did it via direct email (from their website and not their electronic form which I received no reply to) and PayPal. When I tried calling using Skype, the calls failed to connect. It is an island sort of in the middle of the South Pacific, so ...

Many claim that you can arrange lodging when you arrive and that it will be the same or less than if you booked in advance. The town is only about a 10 minute walk from the airport and there will probably be persons at the airport representing different lodging concerns when you arrive.

I hear you should also buy your park tickets before you retrieve your luggage as it is $10 cheaper. Others claim you might be able to negotiate a discount at the park if you have a family.

Good luck.

Puerto Varas, Chile
Level Contributor
474 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help with arranging a hotel in Easter Islands

in general, for a given length of time not counting the peak festival period and February (which is the main holiday for Chileans), lodging is not a hard commodity to come by,

you could do worse than check out places via their websites, try to get an answer regarding availability

and go there in person to book and stay

once that plane of the day lands, there isn't a single extra tourist arriving till the next day

Canada
Level Contributor
128 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help with arranging a hotel in Easter Islands

Hi Yogi,

Oh my... yes, sometimes communications can be difficult. I remember trying to book my first trip and I had 2-3 numbers that did not work, and when one did... they did not understand English. It was quite scarry. I persisted, and found out that we could book a bungalow for the same cost of the hotel, and I was put in touch of the actual owner's email, and I managed to get things arranged and confirmed this way. Have you tried to get an email address? You have to remember that their phone system is run via satelite, and not everyone has a phone.

Also, many hotel personnel & bungalow owners come to the airport with signs to pick up tourists who need a place to stay, especially if they have empty places and need to make that extra $$$. So there should not be alot of worry.

Like a previous responder stated, Jan/Feb is their summer and they have a yearly festival which gets accomodations booked fast, otherwise you should have no problems.

fozziegirl@excite.com

Toronto
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help with arranging a hotel in Easter Islands

Thanks for you reply.

It is scary because I ahave booked my flights but am not able to get in touch with the 2 hotels I have shortlisted.I have tried dozens of times but cannot get through to their phones.I got the emails from their websites.One has not replied inspite of reminders.The other has replied but I cannot makke head or tail of what he has written,I asked if there was a microwave in the room and also how to make the booking.To this his reply is 'WE HAVE HOT WATER SERVICE AND MICROWAVE IN THE FREE HOTEL ROOM.

SEND TO BOOK JUST FLIGHT PATH OF THE SAME ENVIRONMENT."

I cannot make out what the second sentense means.

When trying to call I am dialing Int access code(011) - 56 - 32 and the number on the website but I get no respone.Please advice if you dialed differently.

Where did you stay?

Thanks

Ulm, Germany
Level Contributor
1,430 posts
466 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help with arranging a hotel in Easter Islands

easter island can't be reached with cell phones or VoiP Systems. you need to use your good old fix line phone if you have one - your provider shouldn't use VoiP or something like this for international calls - unfortunately many providers in 2011 use these systems to save cost.

I suppose on Easter Island all internet, telephone works via Satellite which makes is somehow "special"....

Mentioned in this post
6. Re: Need help with arranging a hotel in Easter Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 25, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Easter Island