We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lan Flights

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Lan Flights

LAN has just released the news that between 5 March and 9 April it will be reducing it's flights from 14 to 8 a week due to repair work at Matavari airport.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
57 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lan Flights

CHILE TO UPGRADE RAPA NUI AIRPORT RUNWAY

Flights to be reduced for a month

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (Radio New Zealand International, Jan. 21, 2011) – The Chilean authorities have announced that the upgrading of the runway of Easter Island’s airport will force a reduction of flights for a month.

They say from March the 5th to April the 9th, the airline LAN will cut its number of weekly flights to Mataveri airport from 14 to six.

The flights between Easter Island and Tahiti will be rescheduled to two days earlier in the week.

Not affected will be the new flights between Easter Island and Lima in Peru, which were launched this month.

Radio New Zealand International: www.rnzi.com

Copyright © 2010 RNZI. All Rights Reserved

…eastwestcenter.org/pireport/…01-24-09.htm

Mentioned in this post
Richmond, VA
Level Contributor
1 post
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lan Flights

Do the LAN flights generally sell out early for the summer? I'm looking online for Lima-Easter Island flights in August and all I find are fares over $1400USD and routing through Santiago. Nothing cheap(er) or direct. I was hoping to combine EI with a trip to Machu Picchu.

Mentioned in this post
Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,821 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lan Flights

You seem to plannoying your trip in winter. LAN does operate direct flights to Easter Island from Lima, but I am not sure about in August. Going to Machu Picchu will be completely independent of going to Easter Island. One is an international flight, from Peru, the other a domestic flight.

Mentioned in this post
West New York, New...
Level Contributor
225 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lan Flights

Shady-Grove i used the LAN route from Lima-Easter Island just last week. The route only started on January of this year and it seems that for the first couple of weeks they where having low fares to promote the route. I bought my ticket in mid November from NYC-LIMA-EI for only $850 which is a bargain compared to the $1800 it is to be traveling through Santiago. That's why im not suprised that once everyone started finding out about the Lima route they raised the prices. Remember they are the only airline that flies into Easter Island so they have a monopoly and could charge whatever they want and passangers who want to experience the magic of the island are always willing to pay.

Mentioned in this post
Marlton, New Jersey
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lan Flights

I am also traveling to MP and Easter Island this summer (July). I had reservation on the Lima to Easter Island LAN Flight. Those flights got canceled last week and I got rerouted through Santiago. It seems that the Lima to EI route is going seasonal. It is a lot more flying time that way, but Easter Island should be worth the trip.

Mentioned in this post
Missouri
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lan Flights

Any idea when they will be resuming these? I just looked at the LAN flights from now until December on their website and there are NO direct LIM to IPC flights at all. Everything is routing through santiago. Has this flight been scrapped?

Missouri
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lan Flights

Sorry, I just now found this:

After internal modifications the airline decided to discontinue the new connection Lima – Easter Island temporarily between 06/04/2011 and 22/01/2012. We will keep you informed on this issue. For detailed information please contact your LAN partner.

chile-reise.com/news/…

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lan Flights

LAN is very cavalier about altering flight schedules. On a recent trip to Chile all internal flights except one were altered, including one where they changed the flight number for an identical flight. Flights from Rapa Nui to Tahiti have been severely limited due to the proposed Peru route. We were forced to return to Santiago rather than on-flying, or alternatively arrive in New Zealand from Tahiti some three days later. I am told that LAN Chile is the most reliable of the South American airlines and that Aerolineas Argentinas is worse. Beware when planning tight schedules! Linnet

Geelong, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Lan Flights

What flights run from Tahiti to Easter Island? My wife and I are looking at travel around Oct 5th. David Peek

Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
Level Contributor
4 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lan Flights

In previous years it was possible to fly Tahiti to Easter Island on certain days. (Duration about 5hr:30min. But that all changed when the Peru flights began. I have since heard that the Peru link did not pick up as expected and would possibly be abandoned. You will need to contact Lan or Qantas. Linnet

Mentioned in this post