We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking Lan Flights on Chile web site

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Booking Lan Flights on Chile web site

I am trying to book tickets from the chile web site (don't speak Spanish!) and thought I had it cracked, but right at the end I had to select a chilean bank in order to pay. Is there any way around this? The difference in price is £380 compared to £1000! At the higher price this is out of the question for me.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Booking Lan Flights on Chile web site

yippee - I managed to book using the despegar web site. Thank you for the advice. I had to enter an ID number but seemed to get away with making one up! I am not going until November so will not know if I get caught out at the airport till then. The 2 flights cost $544 which will be great if it works.

Thank you everybody.

Santiago, Chile
Destination Expert
for Chile, Santiago
Level Contributor
6,224 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Booking Lan Flights on Chile web site

The RUT is the ID number all Chilean citizens and resident must have.

The Chilean Central...
Destination Expert
for Chile
Level Contributor
2,018 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Booking Lan Flights on Chile web site

The page with the options listed previously, if you choose #2, you get further popup menus to select (1) the credit card type, (2) the country issued, and (3) the currency to be charged in.

The next page is where you type in the credit card details.

The fact you do not get this page mean:

(1) You are not getting choice #2 and choosing #3

-- Try a different web browser. I used Firefox and Camino successfully but Mac Safari doesn't work with the LAN site.

(2) If you are indeed getting #2 and choosing it, then there is a possibility of a sophisticated redirect attack occurring by some entity trying to scam Chile bank account holders.

We need other overseas experimenters!!

Huntington Beach...
Level Contributor
5,857 posts
485 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Booking Lan Flights on Chile web site

I flew to Easter Island in October 2008. I booked my flight on the American Express website and paid US$939 (includes all taxes) for a coach/roundtrip with stay of five days (Includes all taxes except the arrival VISA feee for selected nationalities. The government of Chile imposes a reciprocity tax on Citizens of the USA US$131, Canada -- I thought that everyone loved the Canadians, Mexico and Australia). If you are from Scotland, there is no VISA if traveling on a UK Passport.

I just did a search using the dates for February 3, 2009 Santiago (SCL) to Easter Island (IPC) with return on February 8 at Americanexpress.com and got a quote of US$1,233 (includes all taxes) for business class --it also notes that there is no Economy class available. - Amex uses Travelocity.com to power their air travel bookings.

Today, when checking at LAN.com, the R/T pricing is US$1,427 (includes taxes and is in Business Class as it notes that there are no Economy seats available; the price also includes a 3% discount for US purchase.)

LAN is the only airline with scheduled flights that I can find. One can also fly to Easter Island, on LAN, R/T from Tahiti. I haven't checked those rates.

25. Re: Booking Lan Flights on Chile web site

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:23 am, August 11, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Easter Island