We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

pubs with food/restaurants in SA43 area? £10 or less p/p

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
pubs with food/restaurants in SA43 area? £10 or less p/p

Hi

I am going to Cardigan bay/Aberporth next weekend and was wondering if anybody could suggest any decent pubs with food for under £10 each for mains? or a decent takeaway/restaurant? that is within my budget? Ideally in SA43 2** area

I am going for the weekend and staying in a nice hotel, but the reviews have all said the food is a little overpriced for what it is and so looking for recommendations of cheaper places. Traveling from london will cost a lot in petrol too but hopefully worth it :)

Thanks for any replies

Puja

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,879 posts
467 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: pubs with food/restaurants in SA43 area? £10 or less p/p

A good place to start the search is the Good Pub Guide. You can search for pubs that have food awards and by distance from a certain location.

I just did a search for pubs 10 miles from Cardigan:

www.thegoodpubguide.co.uk/eng/Tools/Search…

The top one is The Ship in Tresaith. I ate there this summer and it was good but probably over £10 pp.

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: pubs with food/restaurants in SA43 area? £10 or less p/p

Thank you, I will try that website.

Yes have looked at the Ship Inn but it was a little out of my price range, and I am going to a nice restaurant nearby (Gardd y Nos) on Fri and can't spend the same again on Sat.

I am a student (not working) and staying using a kgb deal for the hotel penrallt, which is normally quite expensive but got 2 nights for £99 so treated myself and partner to it for our anniversary and am looking forward to it greatly!

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,653 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: pubs with food/restaurants in SA43 area? £10 or less p/p

I'd just like to add, if you look around some pub chains such as Wetherspoons, Yates etc do good deals but also some resturant chains can do good deals if you get an online voucher etc.

Edited: 7:07 am, January 10, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: pubs with food/restaurants in SA43 area? £10 or less p/p

Hi

I have looked at what's nearby and don't think there's many chain pubs nearby or major restaurants that do the 241 deals etc

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
535 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: pubs with food/restaurants in SA43 area? £10 or less p/p

There is a Wetherspoons in Haverfordwest but the chains do not make it far into West Wales.

I've driven past the Chinese takeaway in Aberporth but I've never been there, the only place I can recommend which is cheap and good is the fish and chip shop in Cardigan beside the market hall. I think it's called the Cardigan Arms. It has a sitting in area.

As it's out of season many places will be closed or have restricted hours. There are several pubs on the main street in Cardigan which do food. I've heard good comments about the Ferry Inn in St Dogmaels, just across the river from Cardigan, but I've no idea about their prices

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: pubs with food/restaurants in SA43 area? £10 or less p/p

I looked it up and Wetherspoons is over 20 miles away. To be honest not even that keen on the food there, def not gonna travel all that way to it!

I saw the chinese takeaway on goggle maps but not sure if we would be allowed to take that in to our room...some hotels can be a bit awkward with bringing your own food in.

The Cardigan Arms sounds nice might go there. Will have to look up the other one.

I have looked up two pubs called Pen Y Bryn Arms and the Pendre Inn, can't find a website/menu for either so no idea about prices, quality or vegetarian options, if any one's been to either please let me know.

Thanks

Pembrokeshire, Wales
Level Contributor
535 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: pubs with food/restaurants in SA43 area? £10 or less p/p

No definitely not worth going to Wetherspoons. It would be an hour's drive and you would be better putting the cost of the petrol towards a meal nearby.

I can recommend the fish and chip shop, if you're vegetarian as I am, the egg and chips are good. It is small and friendly, on the steep hill next to the Market Hall. There is another fish and chip shop at the top end of the main street ( Pendre) but I prefer the one by the market.

I have noticed vegetarian options on the pub menus in Cardigan but I am usually in a hurry for food so just go for egg and chips. There are several cafes open in Cardigan during the day, the one at Theatr Mwldan is particularly good. Again I'm not sure about opening hours this time of year.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,209 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: pubs with food/restaurants in SA43 area? £10 or less p/p

Nice choice the Penrallt, been in there and past many times but never stayed there, penybryn arms is about 9 miles from where you are staying,could look at lelogs chippie, or wander through the main street in Cardigan and see which pubs got the best deal, or go to Newcastle Emlyn and do the same, or not far up the road from the gardd nos, is the Gogerddan Arms, on the junction at Tanygroes, just come under new ownership,may be worth trying.(also the pub in tanygroes) As previously said, in the winter, it may be hit and miss to say what will be open,and what will be closed, If you fancy the chinese, why not get it and Aberporth village and beach is only 2 minutes drive from the penrallt if it is day time of course,and watch the world go by(this time of year you might have your own private beach lol.. Would also suggest new quay pubs,but in winter, dont know what is open

London, United...
Level Contributor
26 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: pubs with food/restaurants in SA43 area? £10 or less p/p

Thanks for the replies and suggestions from all of you. I am now confident that I will not have to pay a fortune to eat out in Cardigan and will have some good yummy choices. :)

Look forward to reviewing them when I come back.

Aberystwyth, United...
Destination Expert
for Aberystwyth
Level Contributor
667 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: pubs with food/restaurants in SA43 area? £10 or less p/p

The nearest Weatherspoons is in Aberystwyth, & there are no Yates pubs in the area. There is an excellent fish & chip shop in Aberaeron, right next to the harbour, they also have tables inside.

Get answers to your questions about Cardigan