We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We need a UK expert ;)

Barrie, Canada
Level Contributor
126 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
We need a UK expert ;)

Hello all,

My spouse and I are attending a wedding in early July in the Outer Hebrides. We're staying on the isle of Harris for 2 days and would like to spend the next 12 days traveling. We would love some help with an itinerary. We'd love to visit some scotch distilleries, castles, Stonehenge ( lol obviously) and any picturesque locals. Also we'd like to leave via London England as we'd like to visit the sites there as well. So in total we probably have 9 days for Scotland with balance being reserved for London. We're leaving the kids at home so family accommodations/theme parks need not be a consideration.

Tall order? ;)

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,634 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We need a UK expert ;)

Forget Stonehenge. You'll have Callanish a few miles from you on Harris. And the Blackhouses should be of interest.

Scotland is absolutely full with castles and distilleries, so you can hardly drive a few miles without hitting one.

Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
312 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We need a UK expert ;)

How are you planning to travel by car or train? I don't think it is possible to hire a car on Harris / Lewis and drop it off at (say) Glasgow airport.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,607 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We need a UK expert ;)

The easiest plan would be to fly to Stornoway and pick up a hire car there. You could have a great time just touring round Lewis and Harris, Skye and the Uists and Barra. Skye is great for castles and there's a fine distillery there at Talisker. If you can, take a day trip from Harris to St Kilda or the Shiant Isles - very special places

Trondheim, Norway
Destination Expert
for Trondheim
Level Contributor
4,344 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: We need a UK expert ;)

There's a distillery on neighbouring Isle of Lewis (the isle where Stornoway Airport is located) - Abhainn Dearg Distillery (Red River Distillery), http://www.abhainndearg.co.uk

Leaving Lewis I'd recommend doing this by plane to Inverness. Pick up a rental at the airport and visit castles, distilleries, Isle of Skye, Glen Coe and other places that might catch your fancy before ending up in either Glasgow, Edinburgh, Inverness or Aberdeen for a flight to London.

If you want to go to Stonehenge this is done during your days in London, as that's located some 80 miles west of London.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: We need a UK expert ;)

Another good way of combining the outer hebrides with various mainland sites might be to use Ferries. I realise this takes some time away from landward activities but you get to see the best of the islands from the sea - this is a good way to see them.

Not sure how you're planning on getting to Scotland. If considering a car from London - don't. It's a pain. You could take the train London-Glasgow, do a couple of venues, stay overnight, then take the train Glasgow - Oban next day.

There is a ferry from Oban to South Uist. Once there pick up a car. Drive North and spend a day or two pottering around. You can continue on to Lewis/Harris (but check the hire conditions regarding drop-off location.

From Stornoway on Harris you can return to the mainland at Ullapool; from Lochmaddy on N Uist you can return to Uig on Skye. If the latter use a local bus or a taxi to Portree.

Either a car for the day or local buses to get around the island, ending at Kye of Lochalsh. There's another train ride from Kyle to Inverness.

Benbecula Airport mention three car hire firms for the uists.

hial.co.uk/benbecula-airport/…

(And that's another way onto/off the islands)

This suggestion places the most emphasis on the Hebrides which may or may not be your intention.

Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: We need a UK expert ;)

Stornoway is accessible by plane from Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness.

Benbecula is accessible from Glasgow.

There's a short flight from Benbecula to Stornoway.

If you decide flights are the way to go.

See other pages and airports on http://www.hial.co.uk

Edited: 8:14 pm, May 29, 2012
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: We need a UK expert ;)

If you are going to fly in or out of the Hebrides, try to do so from Barra. Anything but another identikit airport!

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
6,607 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: We need a UK expert ;)

Good ideas above, but be aware that there is no one-way car hire in the Hebrides.

Reno, Nevada
Level Contributor
88 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: We need a UK expert ;)

We are arriving by cruise ship in Stornoway on the 23rd of June and are not taking any of the ship's excursions because they are sold out. So I am looking to find a private tour operator/guide with a car to take us to Callinish, the Black Houses, and other interesting sights that I am just learning about. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
4,763 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: We need a UK expert ;)

Angelika, you would probably get a better response by starting your own thread... :)

Insatiable traveller - there are endless possibilities. Some must sees for me would be Wester Ross (Torridon, Gairloch), Dunkeld/Pitlochry, St Andrews/Fife, Loch Lomond and Edinburgh. You could work your way south from the Outer Hebrides taking in these places. Perhaps hire a car in Scotland (although hiring from the western isles not easy, as has been pointed out). Train or fly from Edinburgh to London, and continue your trip there.

Abs :)

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Harris
More Isle of Harris Topics