We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dublin to Harwich and back

Smithfield
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Dublin to Harwich and back

Two senior couples from America will be traveling to Dublin and then on to Harwich to get on a royal carribean cruise July 1. Please advise the best way to travel with luggage at the best price between these cities. Thank you so much for your help. First time to travel in UK and want it to be a pleasurable experience.

Oxford UK
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dublin to Harwich and back

Your first step will be to travel from Dublin, which is in the Republic of Ireland, to the UK, which is where Harwich is. You should therefore fly from Dublin to Stansted Airport.

There is public transport from Stansted to Harwich (bus to Chelmsford then train to Harwich) but there are changes required and you say you have luggage. Therefore you would probably be better booking a taxi or car service to take you to the cruise terminal. Others will be better able to advise on this.

UK
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dublin to Harwich and back

I would fly Cityjet to London City (assuming the Dublin route still exists - the airline is due to be sold to new owners).

For two reasons:

1) Flights to Stansted are operated by Ryanair who charge an arm and a leg for checked baggage and who are pretty awful generally. Flying Cityjet is a much more civilised experience - and your first checked bag is free.

2) Getting to Harwich from London City is a lot easier than getting there from Stansted. Stansted may be marginally closer, but public transport connections to the East are pretty abysmal. You'd need to take a slow bus to Colchester (NOT Chelmsford as suggested in the previous post), then a train, then another train. And the bus only runs once an hour - whereas trains from Stratford (the nearest mainline station to London City) are a lot more frequent.

All this is, of course, assuming you want to fly, rather than take a leisurely journey by ferry and train. Hopefully our resident train expert will be along shortly....

Smithfield
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dublin to Harwich and back

Thank you. Everything seems so confusing when you are not familiar with the area.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,629 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dublin to Harwich and back

There is much to be said for taking the train and ferry from Dublin, though it has to be said that the amount of luggage you may have for a cruise and an extended stay may work against you whichever mdoe of transport you choose.

If there is no need for speed, then I find the train/ferry option more relaxing than the hassle of flying. You will see some decent neough scenery from the train, and it is a straightdorward taxi ride between Euston (where the train arrives) and Liverpool Street (where the Harwich trains leave from) if you decide not to break your journey in London.

The fares are pretty reasonable and don't sell out like the cheaper air fares so. My only concern would be whether it is possible to do the journey in one day without a late night arrival in Harwich. Of course, if that wouldn't be a problem, my concern is groundless!

If flying, I would probably try for a flight to City airport rather than Stansted...

UK
Destination Expert
for Chester
Level Contributor
3,718 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dublin to Harwich and back

Presumably you fly into Dublin because it is cheaper? However the time and effort involved in getting across to Britain and then to Harwich will cancel out any savings. If you can re-book into Heathrow it will be so much more convenient

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
54,629 posts
451 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dublin to Harwich and back

Ah, Chesterbuff, I didn't think of that! I assumed that the OP had good reason to go to Dublin, such as wanting to see the city or having friends/relatives there!

If it is purely to save money it might prove to be a false economy.

Edited: 5:39 pm, November 12, 2013
London, UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dublin to Harwich and back

I live in Harwich and have travelled between here and Dublin (as well as many other destinations!) a few times.

Whichever way you approach it, you will need to take more than one means of public transport. The sensible airport options are London Stansted, London City, and London Gatwick (but not London Heathrow, which is awkward from Harwich).

After the airport you will need to get a train to Harwich, which in all of these cases involves joining the line that runs from London Liverpool Street to Manningtree (and beyond); you may join this at London Liverpool Street itself or at Stratford or Colchester, depending on the airport you've chosen.

You will then probably need to change trains at Manningtree for the final short train journey to Harwich. There are a *very few* direct trains from London to Harwich (one in the early morning and four in the evening, I think) which do not necessitate that change at Manningtree, but not many. Having said that, it's a fairly easy change - only a very short walk between platforms, although there are two flights of stairs.

So in detail the options are:

- fly to London Stansted - then bus to Colchester where you join a train from London Liverpool Street, take that train to Manningtree, then a train to Harwich.

- fly to London City - then bus or taxi to Stratford where you join a train from London Liverpool Street, take that train to Manningtree, then a train to Harwich.

- fly to London Gatwick - then train to London Bridge, bus or taxi to London Liverpool Street, take a train to Manningtree, then a train to Harwich.

No one of these is necessarily going to be very much cheaper than any other - it all depends on how lucky you are with airline fares, as much as anything else, and as mentioned how much baggage you have to check. If you didn't have that baggage, Ryanair to Stansted, then the bus and two trains would *probably* be the cheapest.

Do you plan on going straight to your cruise liner, or on staying a night in Harwich before? This has an impact on your destination station. If you're going straight to the ship, you need to get off at Harwich International. If you're staying in a hotel, you more likely need Harwich Town or Dovercourt. These three stations are all very close to one another but it helps to get the right one :).

Finally, if you had a bit of time to spare, a fun alternative would be: fly from Dublin to Amsterdam; take the train to the Hook of Holland (about 90 minutes, might involve a change somewhere like Rotterdam or Schiedam); take a ferry from the Hook of Holland to Harwich (about seven hours). The ferries are really comfortable, you get a little glimpse of yet another country, and if you were planning to spend a night somewhere between Dublin and taking your cruise, a cabin is a fairly cheap alternative to a hotel room! But I wouldn't recommend this if you had a *lot* of luggage.

London, UK
Level Contributor
126 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dublin to Harwich and back

I've just noticed there are four of you. This could make a taxi from any one of the airports a viable option. When my girlfriend and I recently checked out taxis from near Harwich to London Gatwick, it was £120 each way; Stansted would be a little less. Divided among four people, that wouldn't be much more than taking the train, and would obviously be a lot less hassle. You'd need to book the taxi in advance to get a price like that.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,842 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dublin to Harwich and back

Fly to Stansted then take a pre-booked taxi from a Harwich based company.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,876 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dublin to Harwich and back

Surely you didn't plan to fly to Dublin to catch a cruise in Harwich. Please tell me you didn't!!

I was also going to suggest a flight to Amsterdam at least one way and then the ferry. Perhaps you ought to look at your flight options again and see if you can get at least flights tagged on to your itinerary aor get open jaw tickets.