We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advance Fares from London?

Which Harwich hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Advance Fares from London?

Hi

We need to get to Harwich to catch a ferry on Sunday 11th August. I am aware that these train fares aren't yet available but I have been looking at what is currently available and can only find £30 singles (although we have railcards). I am also aware that engineering work will be taking place and there will be a bus form Manningtree.

Does anyone here know why I can't find any of the £8 advance fares? Are they just not available on Sundays? Is this likely to change before August?

£60 just seems a huge amount to pay to get to our departure point!

Stirling, United...
Destination Expert
for Stirling
Level Contributor
13,746 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advance Fares from London?

It's more likely that Advance are not offered if there's a replacement bus on, because seat reservations aren't available on buses, and the Advance quota system is tied into the seat reservation system.

It looks like you can get £8 Advances London-Manningtree on bustituted Sundays, then a £4 Anytime Single to Harwich.

London, United...
Level Contributor
118 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advance Fares from London?

It seems really irritating that you are forced to pay more for a worse journey, but that does make sense about seat reservations.

I actually just figured out the split-ticketing trick after posting! I think this is the way forward and I've made a note of when I need to start checking the website for tickets.

Thanks for your speedy response!

Liverpool, United...
Destination Expert
for Liverpool
Level Contributor
14,521 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advance Fares from London?

Unless you have already bought your ferry tickets you should consider the Rail Sail option which includes train from London to Harwich, ferry (overnight cabin would be extra) and train from Hook of Holland to any Dutch town/city:

stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/holland/

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises
Level Contributor
47,704 posts
429 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advance Fares from London?

Advance tickets for your date of travel will not have been released yet. They should be available from anything up to 12 weeks before travel. Advance tickets will not be available for journeys wholly on a replacement bus, but they are normally available for journeys that involve one! I have purchased Advances for journeys where a bus is involved for par tof the journey on many occasions!

That said, it may be even cheaper to split the tickets at Manningtree, and in any case, the Rail Sail option mentioned by Matt above is excellent value and may be the best way forward.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Advance Fares from London?

It is a bit too early looking for advance fares for August

Do you actually know there will be engineering work on your Sunday? There might be but I can't find any specific reference to it anywhere. Some Sundays in June, yes, but that doesn't mean every Sunday for ever

Can't see why you are not being offered a railcard discount - it should be available on any Sunday. What railcard is it?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advance Fares from London?

Petrunka

Where are you getting the information about engineering work on 11 Aug ?

According to Greater Anglia, August has no service alterations at all.

I could only find Sunday 9 June for the Manningtree- Harwich service alterations you mentioned.

greateranglia.co.uk/travel-information/…

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,873 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advance Fares from London?

A dummy price check Liverpool St to Harwich Intl, for Sundays shows a super off -peak single fare (with senior railcard) of £19.80

As post 5, what Railcard are you using?

8. Re: Advance Fares from London?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, March 27, 2014