We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

closest airport

Orange county, Ca
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
closest airport

We will be flying from the USA and our cruise ship leaves out of Harwich. What would be the closest major airport to fly into and how far from the cruise ship would we be? Thank you

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: closest airport

The airport that's literally the closest is Stansted, but there are not many flights from the US to there, and these are mainly budget airlines (Zoom is one, I think). If you do use that airport you would have to take the bus service or taxi to Colchester and take the (fifteen minute) train from there to Harwich.

Most major airlines go to Heathrow or Gatwick, with a few going to London City Airport. If you go to Heathrow you would have to take the Heathrow Express (the fastest) or the Tube (subway) or a taxi to Central London. From there you need to take the train from Liverpool Street Station to Harwich, (which means changing lines on the Tube, though if you take a taxi you could get him to take you duirectly to Liverpool Street). The journey from Liverpool street to Harwich is about an hour and a half. Similarly, if you arrive at Gatwick you would have to take the train (about three quarters of an hour) into London and again make your way to Liverpool Street.

Phew, this is getting complicated! I think it would be best to see what flights you can get and come back and ask directions once you know which airport you'll be flying into.

Orange county, Ca
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: closest airport

thank you for the quick response. After checking flights the cheapest will be for us to fly into Heathrow. I didn't realize the port was so far from London. I guess I'll see if the cruise line offers a shuttle service. Looks like a long haul otherwise.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Ipswich
Level Contributor
7,537 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: closest airport

The good news about Heathrow is that it's on the Tube system and therefore the cheapest airport to get to and from. If you get the Tube from the airport you'll be on the Piccaddilly Line. Change at Holborn onto the Central Line which will take you to Liverpool Street Station. Why not break your journey with a night in London?

Orange county, Ca
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: closest airport

yes we will be coming in a day early to spend the night in London. My concern is that my husband uses an electric scooter, is that a problem on the Tube and will they let you have luggage on the tube.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: closest airport

Luggage on the tube is no problem but an electric scooter would not be possible - very few tube stations have step-free access. Heathrow does, but not Liverpool Street nor Holborn.

tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/…1169.aspx

Harwich, United...
Level Contributor
401 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: closest airport

I would suggest getting a taxi to Liverpool Street, once there it is no problem. The train will be able to accomadate the scooter and the port has adequate lifts and arrangements.

The journey from Liverpool Street to Harwich International should take around 1 1/2 to 2 hours dependant on how many stops the train makes. I wouldn't consider getting to the port too early though there really isn't a lot there.

Orange county, Ca
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: closest airport

that is a great site regarding the tube. How far is Liverpool station if we take a taxi from the Heathrow?

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
976 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: closest airport

Liverpool Station (where an unscrupulous taxi driver might take you if that's where you ask for) is over 200 miles from Heathrow.

Liverpool STREET station - it doesn't get abbreviated, other than to Liverpool St - is about 20 miles.

Upminster, United...
Level Contributor
11,284 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: closest airport

You can do it easily by public transport

Take the Piccadilly line from Heathrow to Hammersmith (lifts down at Heathrow)

Cross platform change to the District Line to Westminster

Lifts down to Jubilee Line - to Stratford

Lift up to platform 9 & 10 for the hourly direct train to Harwich (Journey 1:24).

I am not sure if you can buy tickets straight through at Heathrow. You should be able to.

Orange county, Ca
Level Contributor
186 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: closest airport

this last blog sounds pretty simple adn the cheapest, if they let you have luggage on the public transport. system.