We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in October

Utah
Level Contributor
44 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in October

My sisters and I will be in Lyme Regis for a bit around October 15th, and I'm wondering what the weather will be like—specifically I'm trying to decide how to dress. The Internet tells me historical average temperatures in that period are around 56 F/13 C, but what does that feel like being right on the ocean? We're from the desert, so I never know how to plan for humidity. :) And any thoughts on what footwear would be appropriate for wandering the town and the Cobb and the coast?

17 replies to this topic
England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
34,125 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in October

We have no idea what the weather will be. We have unique 6 weather systems affecting our little island and it really does all depend on which way the wind blows. It can also change in a day.

October is usually warm (to us) and mild, getting cold in the evenings and earliesh mornings. If the sun comes out and there is no east or north wind it can be nice.

Sea side is usually clean fresh air and almost always with a breeze. Depending on the direction of the breeze it can be a warm wind or icy, sun or not.

That's why we say - layers - as in fleece jacket, light fleece or similar under it and a teeshirt under that. Then you can wear them or peel them off as required and they are not to heavy to carry.

A lightweight waterproof to go over your clothes if it rains. Umbrellas by the sea are pointless, too breezy.

Shoes? Well whatever is comfortable. Trainers (runners/sneakers) are always good. Best if they aren't fabric type in case of rain.

should be beautiful at that time of year.

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in October

"We're from the desert, so I never know how to plan for humidity."

Humidity will not be a problem for you.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in October

"specifically I'm trying to decide how to dress"

That's a decision best left for the morning of each day when you can use the old fashioned weather forecasting technique of looking out the window.

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
2,032 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in October

put it this way last October I spent a week in Sidmouth just down the coast. Day 1 rain all day, day 2 cloudy, day 3 cloudy some rain, day 4 windy and wet day 5 ok, the day we came home. You might get a couple of nice days with temps in the high teens Celsius or you may get a couple of days of rain. Who knows? One things for sure if the forecast says 5 days in advance it will rain don't believe them as they are often wrong. 3 days ago this coming weekend was going to be horrible but now the rain comes through saturday night and its now going to be nice, I hope they are right.

Bath, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
595 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in October

You're not getting this are you? Historic averages tell you precisely nothing about about what the weather will be on any given day.

Brutal truth is - we don't know.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Cardiff
Level Contributor
9,326 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in October

"You're not getting this are you?"

OP hasn't responded since her two posts asking the questions in two different fora earlier. I'm sure she'll 'get it' when she returns.

Utah
Level Contributor
44 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in October

Thanks for the input, everyone!

Kernow128: Well, yes, I did realize that historical averages are only marginally useful—hence my seeking out additional information from people who might know the area and could give me a sense of the range of possible weather conditions. I'm sorry my doing so seems to have annoyed you.

C0rnc0b: I will undoubtedly use your looking-out-the-window method, but when I have to carry everything I want to have with me across the ocean in a small bag, I don't want to waste space bringing a thick coat if it turns out Lyme Regis is known for having very fair weather in October. :)

Exeter, UK
Level Contributor
897 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in October

It is quite hard to not respond to this in a somewhat cynical way (as posters above have demonstrated), but allow me to try and be as helpful as possible to this 'how long is a piece of string' question:

1. you - unfortunately - have to be prepared for all sorts of weather. It may be 20C and sunny, 5C and wet, or anything in between. It's unlikely to be freezing though! Sue's 'Layered' suggestion is spot on

2. often though, October is really quite nice

3. humidity indeed not a problem (unless you call the vertical stuff humidity)

4. Lyme Regis is not on 'the Ocean': it's on the English Channel. Not as windy therefore as, say, West Coast of Cornwall

5. footwear? 'Sensible', always, and that has nothing to do with the weather

Enjoy

Edited: 5:47 pm, September 10, 2015
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in October

I, too, live in the desert, so understand your question! I feel the cold more because of where I live (Phoenix) so dress a little warmer than what a local would wear. The other responders meant well in that British weather is ridiculously unpredictable. I travel to the UK frequently and October is a lovely time to visit but there are days where it is really cold in the morning and suntan weather in the afternoon. I like to travel light but I always take a warm jacket, that is water resistant and light enough to take it off and tie around my waist, if needed. Definitely take sturdy water-resistant comfortable walking shoes. I tend to take a few long sleeve shirts and one or two warm sweaters. Although I have not been to Lyme Regis (but am hoping to visit soon), most British towns have charity shops, like our thrift stores. If I don't want to pack bulky sweaters I will buy one or two at a charity shop and re-donate them at the end of my trip. Only take clothes that dry easily because you probably won't have access to a good clothes dryer, like the American ones you are used to. I hope this helps and have a wonderful trip!

Northamptonshire...
Destination Expert
for Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire, Cotswolds
Level Contributor
5,316 posts
1,585 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in October

We visited Charmouth,about a 2 mile drive from Lyme Regis last year and had a reasonably dry/warm spell throughout our week in October.

Reply to: Weather in October
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted