We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Padstow or St Ives

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Padstow or St Ives

We are a couple traveling from New Zealand We are spending four nights in London and then plan to spend four nights in Cornwall. We cannot decide if we should stay in St Ives or Padstow or divide the time between both places or even stay in Newquay for a night ? . We are driving to Cornwall form London and flying back from Newquay. We will be in Cornwall mid May and enjoy walking, beaches, good restaurants , sight seeing etc. We will have a car

Appreciate any suggestions Thanks Bron

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Padstow or St Ives

Personally I wouldn't bother with a night in Newquay - IMO and many will agree its not an attractive town, and not far enough from Padstow or St Ives to justify the hassle of packing and unpacking. Padstow and St Ives are both lovely with walks, beaches, places to eat , and access to other places. St Ives is bigger so that many more facilities. You will find plenty to do in both. Four nights means three days. Personally I would find it a hassle to move on, more relaxing to stay put, but it's your choice whichever you do will be enjoyable

Essex
Level Contributor
28,832 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Padstow or St Ives

Padstow.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Padstow or St Ives

Brief and too the point What i am thinking as well Thank you!

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Padstow or St Ives

Thanks Sandy sounds like very good advice. I am thinking Padstow if we can find somewhere suitable to stay

Plymouth
Level Contributor
2,778 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Padstow or St Ives

Just re-reading your travel plans. Driving out of London is hellish, and the motorway is boring. If you haven't yet booked, consider train to Exeter and picking up the car there.

You say you are flying back. Any special reason for this? If you are returning to central London, or Heathrow, the car/train option might be easier. Also, may be teaching you to suck eggs, but make sure you rent from a company that has drop off facilities at Newquay - its a very small airport and in my recollection most companies don't operate there.

st Ives
Level Contributor
144 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Padstow or St Ives

You've posted your enquiry in the Padstow forum, so I guess you've already decided to get Padstow biased answers.

I think you should stay in St Ives. Far prettier than Padstow, five fabulous beaches, fascinating harbour, clifftop walks, excellent shops, restaurants and bars. An excellent base for exploring West Cornwall, including St Michael's Mount and the Minack Theatre.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Padstow or St Ives

Thanks again Sandy for your good advice! We will do what you suggest. We are flying back to London as we have a connecting flight to Rome

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
45 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Padstow or St Ives

Thanks Stivean We have found accommodation in Padstow so we will stick with this option but we intend to spend a day in St Ives also

9. Re: Padstow or St Ives

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:15 pm, March 30, 2015