We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations and Advice

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations and Advice

Hello;

My husband and I spent a week in Pastow in March last year and loved it. We did the Camel Trail, Eden Project, Newquay. Food wise we went to Stein's Café Bistro and Fish n Chip place, Margot's, No 6 and Fifteen. We had such a lovely and relaxing time going out, wining and dining, catching up on all the TV series we'd missed in the year and more importantly catching up with each other as we both have busy and stressful jobs.

We plan to go visit again, this time for a week in May and we are bringing his parents and brother with us. So our group this year consists of the in laws in the 60s, a single brother who is my age 29 and my hubby who is in his early 30s.

We would like to do Eden Project again and eat at some Stein places, Fifteen and Margot's. Hubby and I are also spending a day at Stein's cookeru school. Just wanted to know any more recommendations we should consider food wise, bars / pubs wise and places to go.

We're thinking St Ives but son't know how long it will take...any ideas?

Also my hubby really wanted to go out on a boat (pref fishing boat) last year but it was too early in the season. Now we are going 10th May, would that be possible? If so who, what , when and where?

Thanking you in advance.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations and Advice

Hi there

I have replied to your duplicate post.

Staffordshire
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations and Advice

I have eaten at all those places you mention but might I also recommend you look in at The Estuary Restaurant up in High Street, well worth a visit. You may not need to book during the week but would suggest you book for Fri/Sat. This restaurant is starting to get quite popular. See website, www.theestuarypadstow.co.uk for more details.

Hope you enjoy your visit to Padstow.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
372 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations and Advice

Hi,

I replied to your post but it is listed under Cornwall on the forum page - my mistake!

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
130 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations and Advice

Hello! I'm interested in your views on the places you have already tried ...

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
276 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations and Advice

Ok Alf64, I will give you my humble opinions.

Stein's Café and St Petroc's Bistro - similar in terms of quality of food. Both very high - simple dishes executed well. The skinny fries at the café are really yummy and definitely get lots to share. Both fairly relaxed places - café tends to be a bit more frantic as it is quite small and service is very quick which is great for a fast meal but not a place where one would linger for the whole night.

Stein's fish and chips is a hugh quality chippy that is light on the grease with lots of choice. I prefer the grilled fish to the traditional battered stuff. I actually suspect that if this was an independent without Stein's name attached people would be raving about this place more but because of it's association there is a natural expectation of it having to be good so response is more blasé.

Margot's is wonderful. Really simple British food of a superb quality. Nothing pretentious, nothing frou frou and even the plainest eaters will be blown away. Those with a culinary sense of adventure may be disappointed with lack of foams and veloutés but simply cannot fault the quality and flavour. Service from Adrian and his team is also impeccable.

Fifteen never fails to disappoint and satisfies the adventurous palates with its more unusual flavour combinations. Beautiful location and knowledgeable and friendly staff make it a fun night out. The food and the surrounding make for excellent dinner conversation.

No 6 I have mixed feelings about. I commend the team for escaping from London and for what they are trying to do. Molly is a lovely front of house manager and the place is packed with potential...but it's just not quite there yet. You can see the Ramsay et al influence in the dishes but they're just that one touch too fussy, that one step too far that take it to the beginnings of what is excessive. This could be down to its youthful exuberance / enthusiasm and because of this it cannot reign itself in and control is something it can only aspire to in the future when maturity is reached.

These are only my opinions and I am sure that others will have opposing views but that's what makes life interesting!

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
130 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations and Advice

Thanks for that!

7. Re: Recommendations and Advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, September 26, 2009