We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sights in/around North Berwick

Which North Berwick hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Sights in/around North Berwick

I am going to be in Scotland for a month of golf / castles / distilleries. I have all my golf booked. Now I am looking into the other sites/attractions.

Can anyone help out with what interesting sights I should plan on taking in while I am in North Berwick for a few days of golf? I'll have a car, so can get to somethings in the general area.

The plan is 1/2 day of golf and 1/2 day of sightseeing. Without knowing much at all, my mind is gravitating towards castles and distilleries (if appropriate for this area of the country).

I'll be posting similar inquiries to the forums for the other areas of Scotland I'll be traveling to!

Thanks,

Joe

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
1,535 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sights in/around North Berwick

There are 2 castles nearby, Tantallon castle and Dirleton castle. Of the two Dirleton is possibly the more interesting and has lovely gardens surrounding it. I have never visited Tantallon which is more of a ruin but others may have more to say.

I don't know of any distilleries in the vicinity as these tend to be more to the north and west. Belhaven brewery in Dunbar offer tours which may be an alternative - http://www.belhaven.co.uk/welcome/lda/tours/ - and there is also the John Muir Country Park (of Yellowstone Park fame) near Dunbar, his birthplace. If you are into aeroplanes there is the Museum of Flight at East Fortune which has a Concord on display amongst other exhibits and there is also a motor museum at Myreton with some interesting old cars.

Prestongrange mining museum might interest you if you like industrial things and this site might have a few ideas - http://www.eastlothian.gov.uk/site/index.php

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sights in/around North Berwick

great advice, thanks!

Edinburgh
Destination Expert
for St. Andrews
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sights in/around North Berwick

Glenkinchie malt whisky distillery is near Pencaitland, around half an hours drive from North Berwick. And of course Edinburgh is nearby. There is a regular train service between North Berwick and Edinburgh which takes just over half an hour to the city centre.

scotland
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sights in/around North Berwick

North Berwick itself is a great place. A beautiful spot with long sandy beaches and golf courses fringing the town, against the backdrop of the iconic Bass Rock. Sir David Attenborough describes it as one of the "wildlife wonders of the world". There's a good selection of restaurants and shops and a great mix of activities available close by. The award-winning Scottish Seabird Centre is definitely worth a visit with stunning views over the sea, a great cafe and shop and the main attraction is a visitor centre with cameras on all the islands which beam back amazing close up pictures of the seabirds and wildlife like seals and dolphins. There's a brilliant boat trip (runs Mar-Oct) - Seafari trips, which you book through the Seabird Centre - a fantastic experience - you get suited up in full waterproofs and then taken on an exhilarating ride over the waves out around the islands - last time I was out on it, we were entertained by dolphins.

North Berwick...
Destination Expert
for East Lothian
Level Contributor
730 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sights in/around North Berwick

Check out this site with plenty of ideas for non-golf activities.

http://www.golfnook.com/

I like the contrast between Dirleton & Tantallon Castle ruins, both sites through Historic Scotland. In North Berwick, you can climb Berwick Law for fabulous views and take boat trips to view sea birds on Bass Rock, Fidra & Craigleith. Puffins are amazing with their comic flappy wings.

6. Re: Sights in/around North Berwick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 24, 2010