We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day in Marlow

Which Marlow hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Day in Marlow

Hi

Your replies to my question on taxi fares show you're a helpful crew so...

I've never been to Marlow before, and will have a day (about 5 hours) free on Monday. Car won't be available to me. I realize the weather could be inclement, but any suggestions of 'must sees'?

Maidenhead, United...
Level Contributor
500 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day in Marlow

Here are a couple of websites which may be useful

http://www.outinmarlow.com/

http://www.marlowtown.co.uk/

Have not really explored Marlow myself, apart from having a drink there once!

Edited: 6:25 am, November 24, 2009
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day in Marlow

It's only a small place, just a nice little town to walk around really. Lots of nice cafes/restaurants and some decent pubs (but also some surprisingly ropey ones), and some posh shopping

I can't think of much in the way of tourist attractions that are under cover. Cliveden is the closest I can think of, but that's a drive away

Lots of nice walks around - along the Thames Path, up in the woods around Marlow Common, over the hill to Cookham, if that's your thing. If you're talking about next Monday, expect lots of mud on footpaths, especially by the river!

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day in Marlow

5 hours sounds like a very long time for Marlow. If you are female, you might be able to occupy much of it in the little fashion and nick nack shops, if you are male, 30 seconds will be long enough.

If you are dressed appropriately for the weather , then a walk along the river, if its bright enough you might be able to get some good photographs, there is the bridge, the war memorial, lots of interesting little things around.

In case of inclement weather, I would also bring a *thick* book and plan a long leisurely lunch, possibly starting as soon as you arrive.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day in Marlow

Looking forward to it already Joe! Shops sound good (female), but if weather is reasonable the riverside looks better. I'll charge the camera and pack walking boots. Thick book already in situ in the case.

Thanks for everyone's input.

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day in Marlow

JUst thought I'd report back on my day in Marlow - I always think if people can be bothered to make suggestions they deserve feedback!

Being female the shops successfully occupied about 3 hours - as it was pouring with rain best place for me. Some fabbo shops - though I tried to avoid the ones that didn't have prices in the window!

Sun came out around lunchtime so I walked both ways along the tow path for as far as it was tarmac - sadly the torrential rain had turned the other paths into quagmires. I also looked round the church which has a couple of gorgeous contemporary stained glass windows.

The remainder of the afternoon was taken up with my thick book and looking out over the weir from our attic room at the Compleat Angler.

I thought Marlow was a charming little place. Thanks for your input.

Waterloo, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day in Marlow

Marlow is a great little town, I sometimes sit on the bench in front of the church just looking at the weir and the river and the general hustle and bustle. Of course it helps when the weather is nice.

How was Compleat Angler?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,788 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day in Marlow

It is quite nice, far too busy for me though

When you were looking out of that attic room across the weir, did you see that street on the other side of the river that runs right down to and into the river, with a little jetty on it? That's where my outlaws live.

Nice place, traffic and parking a nightmare tho'. Glad you had a good time

Doncaster, United...
Level Contributor
681 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day in Marlow

KVKFAN - my review of the Compleat Angler is pending - should appear soon. Will leave you to read it.

Pintpot - not only saw it from my attic window - stood at the end of it (risking life and limb) to take photos - the light was suberb and photos came out well, although I say so myself. I too have outlaws, although in a far less glamourous setting. Didn't know anyone else called them that!

9. Re: Day in Marlow

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 02, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Marlow