We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hungerford

Which Hungerford hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berkshire
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hungerford

Hi, I am thinking of booking afternoon tea for my friend and I for her birthday (this will be a Monday), we live about an hour away and wanted to go somewhere nice and relaxing for a day, there is a deal for Littlecote House afternoon tea which seems to have good reviews?

We wouldnt be staying overnight as we both have children to go home to but my question is, is there anything else to do or look at in Hungerford? It might be nice to do or see something before we go for afternoon tea? As I said we are both mummys and just want a nice chilled out day, we appreciate beautiful countryside and quaint shops etc.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated :-)

Thanks!

Trinity

5 replies to this topic
Essex
Level Contributor
27,465 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hungerford

Hello Trinity_lee1

Hungerford is a nice little town and here is a website for it with a range of food/drink options listed:

http://www.hungerford.uk.net/foodanddrink.php

I seem to remember having a nice afternoon tea once on a lovely sunny day otuside in the courtyard of one of the Inns. I think it was The Bear, but it was a number of years ago now, so I can't be absolutely certain.

I'm sure you can find something nice.

If you don't mind me saying so though, you might have got more 'takers' for your question if you had entitled your thread "Afternoon Tea Near Hungerford" or something like that, rather than just "Hungerford" - a title which many may pass by who could help you, as they think they don't know a lot about Hungerford itself.

I only point this out to try and help you - it is better to have a little bit more descriptive title, really!

You might find some other good options if you have a look at the Tea Council/Tea Guild website, too:

http://www.tea.co.uk/guild-members

Cheers! EW

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hungerford

Hi there

You can take a ride on a canal boat from Hungerford, if I recall, it goes as far as Kintbury, then turns around and makes back to Hungerford

Slough,Berks
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hungerford

Hi Trinity,if you do decide to have afternoon tea at Littlecote House,you can wander around the lovely grounds and visit the roman mosaic and ruins of a roman villa which are both on site and interesting to see.

As EW says above,Hungerford is a lovely market town and has a number of antique and other interesting little shops to browse in.St. Lawrence's church is nice to visit for a look and a walk by the canal is good to do if you have a nice day.

Marlborough is another nice historic town to visit also which isn't far from Hungerford or Littlecote House if you have the time.Have a lovely day at Littlecote,if you do go.....it's a lovely historic building with beautiful surroundings and countryside.

Broadland
Level Contributor
541 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hungerford

Hungerford is known these days for its plethora of antique shops, probably best known is Hungerford Arcade. You.ll be lucky if you spot a bargain.........

http://www.hungerfordarcade.co.uk/

Hungerford, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hungerford

Hungerford is indeed a small historic town with quite a lot of things going on. If you are looking for tea, The Three Swans is currently very popular and is right in the middle of town on the High Street. Opposite the Three Swans you will find the Antiques Arcade - perfect for a wander and alongside that, a very good kitchen shop. The Tutty Pole also does good Teas - although the interior isnt chic, the food is good. There are also a number of independent retailers scattered about. A well priced Italian deli, an old fashioned sweet shop, another antique gallery, a wine shop, a home furnishing with shabbychic and unusual bits, and then the lower part of the street below the river bridge has a smart jewellers, two or three very chic clothes shops, and an amazing silver shop called 'styles silver, plus a posh lingerie shop, a health food store and yet more antique shops, a gentlemans gifts speciality store etc etc. So, if you want shopping, you have a very good range that are thankfully much better than the usual high street clones we have acquired in the uk! If you prefer outdoor life, then a walk through to St Lawrences Church and then onto the Marshes is lovely. Or a walk across the common, or along the river and the barges (which operate trips - seasonal dates). Littlecote is also lovely, but just outside the town and so is a 'drive to' destination. If you drive onwards towards Marlborough - just 2-3 mins, you will also find Cobbs Farm Shop where you can buy everything from good veg and bread to concessions stores such as a boutique florist called Wendy Lewis flowers and really fresh fish from The Lobster Pot fishmongers. You will need good walking shoes! Enjoy your day.

Reply to: Hungerford
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hungerford
Recent Conversations