We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sewage on Burriana Beach

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Sewage on Burriana Beach

Just about to book an apartment for July 2014 for a holiday and seeing a lot of comments about raw sewage on Burriana Beach. Is his true, should I not book and go to another part of Nerja?

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sewage on Burriana Beach

Hi there

Sadly there is no sewage plant in Nerja, which essentially means raw sewage is pumped into the sea. There are video's on youtube of "stuff" floating in the sea.

All i can suggest is to read all the information on it and then decide for yourself what you want to do.

There is a traveller article on it here as well: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g315917-c193238/Nerja…

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sewage on Burriana Beach

It's pot luck really - depends on the currents etc. You might not see it at all, on the other hand you might get the infamous slick (especially during July as the crowds build).

Obviously this is a very contentious subject:

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sewage on Burriana Beach

Are other areas in Nerja the same or is it just the Burriana area that has the sewage problem.? Don't know what to do now, have spent a few days looking at apartments and thought I had decided until I read about the sewage problem.

Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,732 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sewage on Burriana Beach

It's very rare for the slick to affect any of the other beaches. Personally I prefer Torrecilla anyway, although it's a bit ex-patty around that side of Nerja you are within an easy walk into town.

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
13 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sewage on Burriana Beach

Hi,

The problem kicks out from El Salon beach and, with prevailing currents, heads around to Calahonda, Carabeo and Burriana beaches.

If the current is heading in the other direction Torrecilla, El Chucho and El Playazo can be affected.

Due to currents in the Costa del Sol region, the sea is rarely clear as it is not as calm as further into the Med.

We have a place in Nerja and always use the pool for swimming and the beach areas for eating or drinking.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
6,723 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sewage on Burriana Beach

Hi Jon, that all makes perfect sense, thanks so much for sharing, it's always intrigued me as to why some beaches are affected sometimes and some not, and this from a resident. Very much appreciated.

At least when the next debate occurs we can give some reasoning behind it.

UK
Level Contributor
871 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sewage on Burriana Beach

Hi Milly,

Many people, including ourselves, have been to Nerja for many years, and not encountered the problem.

Obviously it exists at certain times but not as frequently as is sometimes suggested.

Hopefully the question will not exist from next year as the sewage plant is in the process of being built.

Edited: 8:17 am, January 05, 2014
8. Re: Sewage on Burriana Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:00 am, January 26, 2014
9. Re: Sewage on Burriana Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:36 am, January 26, 2014
Edited: 9:36 am, January 26, 2014
staffordshire
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sewage on Burriana Beach

We went in 2012 in late aug saw the slick most days out off the 12 we were there if swimming is a must in your holiday i would give nerja a miss if u dont mind just the pool then nerjas fine

Get answers to your questions about Nerja