We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter observations - February 2013

Which Nerja hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,236 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Winter observations - February 2013

i might put up a trip report later when I have more time detailing places I've eaten etc. but as a past resident and regular visitor to Nerja and often on this forum my favourite places are easy to search and regulars will know my usual likes and dislikes anyway so not much point. After last visit nothing has changed, one thing you can rely on with the local spanish run places is that when they have a good formula they stick to it, close your eyes and it's groundhog day from years previous ;-)

A couple of places I like where closed and I missed a few friends in the local catering industry that where on vacation but there are so many choices that when one great place is closed another will be open so just keep moving around.

This trip was business (don't properly holiday on the CDS these days) based in Malaga city and Marbella however I got over to Nerja for 4 nights and again 2 nights before heading out of Malaga. Another few days in Spain but that's another story, so how did I find Nerja in February?

The town has obviously been hit by the local and European economy through last year so I wasn't absolutely sure what to expect off season comparred to what I know is going on in places like Benalmadena and Marbella. It seems to me to be holding up fairly well given the circumstances.

The town was quiet but had enough visitors to make it seem like a regular non resort town, I've not been to Nerja in February for many years but it reminded me of how the town was before the boom - an attractive town in an attractive setting as we know, not mobbed with visitors but with a vast choice of eating and drinking places. The old town tapas scene that I enjoy most was pretty busy actually day and night, as we crawled around some bars were obviously much quieter than summer but there was atmosphere of the type I personally enjoy and what first attracted me to Nerja 25 years ago. By day some of the more touristy ameneties were clearly quiet or dead but in my experience most that come to Nerja so far off season expect that to be the case, I;msurprised more weren't closed.

Some hoteliers I know were quite pessimistic and have several serious concerns moving forward but I think there is a local realisation and optimism that whilst things are indeed bad country wide Nerja is still well placed to keep attracting folk that seek a more low-key holiday off season. Looking at how some of the bigger resorts die in winter as relying on British visitors seeking home from home Nerja still offers a middle road alternative. No raging nightlife just a nice town for a quiet getaway to experience local culture with some tourist facilities if you want them.

This visit reminded me of how much I like Nerja, more recent summer visits have reminded me why I sold up so for me when I read that the town is quiet and not much going on I'd look deeper, for many it might be an improvement to the boom years in terms of personal experience, the negative factors affecting tourism might just see Nerja attracting some new visitors that might have previously avoided - only time will tell.

If people have researched what Nerja has to offer I see no reason for them to be concerned about a ghost town, Nerja is what it is, I've had two really enjoyable visits and met some visitors that were first timers saying they'll be back next winter as it suits them down to the ground. The local hospitality is great as always, lovely to catch up with some old faces and friends, I ate too much, drank too much and was sorry to head back to Malaga though I'm really fond of the city and had a great time there too. I even managed to do some work over the 18 days in the region ;-)

On the downside:

I've still never met anyone from TA Nerja forum and apologise for not getting in touch to meet as I said I would, I was simply on a very short notice schedule and couldn't plan anything, I was with folk day and night plus we went over to Salobrena and Granada whilst I was on these short vacation visits.

Not too bad first days but geneary I was unlucky with the weather, towards the last days it was geting pretty cold and last nights in Malaga it was very cold! ;-( That's the luck of the draw in February and something folk need to consider. European weather movements have changed i recent years so it's hard to guarantee the weather anywhere these days during winter.

Summary.

Nerja is much as I expected and hoped for except the weather, research places that might interest you off season, Nerja has a lot going for it.

Stoofer

Level Contributor
730 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Winter observations - February 2013

We have normaly ordered a selection of tapas for a price and then the wine for another price but I suppose it will be different if the tapas come free with a glass of wine. Might have to top our order up with a racion or 2. Going to be good fun working this out every lunch time. We also are going to try a tapas trail or 2 think this may be the stand up tapas or maybe fall over tapas.

Arroyo de la Miel...
Level Contributor
14,730 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Winter observations - February 2013

Hope you get off ok Ian, we were due to land at EMA last night at 23.00 ended up in Luton in the Hampton by Hilton hotel, courtesy of Ryanair from 2.00am then coach at 10 this morning back to EMA. Just got home, now to clear the drive of snow.

Edited: 9:49 am, March 23, 2013
Torremolinos, Spain
Level Contributor
13,990 posts
Save Reply
33. Re: Winter observations - February 2013

You've missed all the drama MT, it's been horrendous in some parts of the north, your area has not been too badly hit but further north ouch !!

Who needs Spain and it's sunshine eh? haha!

CB

Edited: 9:52 am, March 23, 2013
derby
Level Contributor
1,803 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Winter observations - February 2013

Stoofer I enjoyed reading about your view of Nerja and found it informative. However I find it irritating that some people have to nit pic and criticise, to the extent that some of the thread was taken over by debates about eating tapas sitting down or standing up. I wasn't confused about it and feel its a shame when you've put such effort into it, that you've had to clarify things.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
60 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Winter observations - February 2013

I totally agree with your Mosley97. After all if someone has taken the time and effort to give us their opinion, it seems a shame, that people feel the need to pick fault with them, as it can be very off putting to possible new posters. Totally agree with Ian as well. We're on holiday to enjoy ourselves and if we break the rules, well so be it, as long as we're not causing offence.

36. Re: Winter observations - February 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12:05 pm, April 02, 2013
Torremolinos, Spain
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos
Level Contributor
14,384 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Winter observations - February 2013

< In this case it just demonstates lack of understanding what is now the local culture for Spaniards across the country >

How can something that is 'local' also be countrywide? We quite often get people coming on asking about tapas, and 'how it works' etc., and the discussion regarding this in this thread could be useful for them. The general conclusion seems to be a tapas 'meal' is fine, as is moving from place to place having a tapa at the bar with a drink (which is much more the traditional Andalucían way), i.e. do as you feel like!

In Nerja, just as anywhere else along the CdS that has been changed by mass tourism and the influx of expats, things tend to be different when compared with places up in the campo that may still have little tourist/expat influence (although you have to go a long way inland for that these days).

I don't think the discussion displays any 'lack of understanding' at all, how are people supposed to gain any worthwhile knowledge without discussion?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,236 posts
1 review
Save Reply
38. Re: Winter observations - February 2013

Thanks Mosley & Bacardi-girl, I posted to say that on post 41 but I now see it was deleted 'by the community'.

As in a local shop, local is where you are, wherever you are and what is available as used by locals, if the local culture is the same in Nerja as many other regions of Spain I fail to see what's wrong in calling it local culture countrywide.The bottom line is I don't see anything unusual in regard to visitors, ex-pats and local Spaniards sitting down to eat tapas if they want wherever they are in Spain. I did not say that the 'discussion' displays a lack of understanding.

As my posts are now being deleted I'll stop the email prompts and leave it.

Stoofer

Get answers to your questions about Nerja